Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Insurance problem
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I live in a rented room in a house, so just me and the land lady who is a policeperson. In conversation last night it transpired that my bikes are covered by the house insurance but only to the value of £500.

Any recommendations for insurance to cover my bikes whilst living in this situation. I have heard M+S are good? It seems in the last few weeks the local scrotes are pinching stuff from sheds and garages.

Big-M
    Free Member

I doubt that M&S will offer you cover as you're in a rented room, it'll be the same response from most standard insurers.
    You could ask your landlady to add them on to her policy and you pay the difference or you may have to get specific bike insurance.

Rich_s

+1
    The problem with renting a room is that the rooms are generally not self contained, so you'd struggle with getting your own policy set up.

If you can lock the door, then your landlady will struggle with her policy (I think it's something to do with fire access) and your possessions won't be covered under her policy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I got insurance in this situation before – I guess getting bieks covered would be pricey though.

I don't see how your bikes are covered by your landlady's policy though, not her "insurable interest" Shirley?

skidartist
    Free Member

If its only a £500 cover you'll probably find (in some cases) that the bike is only covered in the house too, not covered out and about being used as a bike.

You'd be better off getting stand alone cycle insurance in this instance, which if the bike is your only concern would be better value than something like M&S anyway. You could suggest that your landlady switches to M&S next time she renews and maybe offer to pay towards any difference in the premium if there is any.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edsleigh? They used to be good for young folk in rented accomodation but I have no idea now. Worth asking them tho I would ahve thought

Aqualisa
    Free Member

i used to use cycleguard while i was at uni, not cheap but good cover, and they paid out for accidental damage when i binned it and broke a frame too 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Edsleigh? They used to be good for young folk in rented accomodation but I have no idea now. Worth asking them tho I would ahve thought

They were pretty useless for bikes over much more than that already offered last time I tried…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Insurance problem’ is closed to new replies.