• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Insurance people
  • Jolsa

Your help please… Just had my motorbike insurance cancelled “due to unacceptable mid-term adjustment”.

Is this bad news for me regarding future insurance applications? Does a cancellation on my record mean that I’ll forever have to phone up for insurance to explain the situation, and miss out on online savings?

For the record the ‘unacceptable mid-term adjustment’ was me phoning up to update my address details and them not having an up to date UK address database to recognise my new build address.

MoreCashThanDash

Possibly yes – but I’m a few years away from teh industry so not certain.

Prey tell, which bunch of incompetents are unable to set up a new build address on their records?

Fueled
    Free Member

The fact that you have had this policy cancelled will make no difference at all, dont worry.

The fact the your house is in a new build area and therefore insurance companies have no data to judge you by may restrict your choices of insurer or make your premiums higher, but it shouldn’t be horrendous.

Some postcode areas are massive fraud hotspots. Either full of the kind of people who commit fraud on their own insurance, or lots of people who cause crashes for the insurance money. If your postcode is new then insurers may assume the worse when quoting. But the fact that your old insurer cancelled your cover should make no difference.

Jolsa

Thanks for your replies. Devitt (underwriters = Equity Red Star) – couldn’t find my address (even though it’s on the Royal Mail postcode/address checker online database).

Have been trying to sort out new insurance online, but all I’ve tried so far don’t recognise my postcode. I’ve been living here since the end of December!

Not quite sure what to do now, no insurance isn’t an option but who’s going to cover me at this rate? 🙄

MoreCashThanDash

I think the OPs worry was as he has had a policy cancelled, and that is usually one of the questions asked by new insurers, he may be forced to ring to get cover and miss out on online discounts.

Fueled
    Free Member

Jolsa – An old fashioned high street broker may be a good place to try (somewhere like Swintons). Wont be much more expensive than what you would be able to get online, and a lot of insurers take more care over quotes rather than try to fit everyone into simple categories.

Jolsa

Yep having searched around a bit I’ve read that some people suggest it’s important to get a written clarification on why your policy was cancelled, and that if you have a policy cancelled in circumstances like this, then you have to mention it in all future insurance applications – home, motor, travel etc.

Finally found one insurer that has provided me a quote online (Carole Nash) as I was able to input my address details manually. Expect I’ll need to phone them to be sure though.

Main worry is if I have to phone people up for the rest of time to get quotes all because my current years insurance would be marked as ‘cancelled’.

Will see what Carole Nash have to say tomorrow…

Jolsa

Interesting. Just phoned Carole Nash who after consulting their inhouse underwriters were fine with insuring me. The policy is underwritten by none other than Equity Red Star!?

Also got legal expenses and UK&EU AA breakdown cover included for a price that’s cheaper than what I paid Devitt.

I’m off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday!

BigJohn

My insurance broker is an independent who uses Equity Red Star for many policies and they have a good personal relationship with them.

They are very helpful.

Fiveways – 01785 251790 – say John Wilson recommended them.

br
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies. Devitt (underwriters = Equity Red Star) – couldn’t find my address (even though it’s on the Royal Mail postcode/address checker online database

But that relies on the company paying for their subscription…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Insurance people’ is closed to new replies.