Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Insurance Paid Out. £1k Hardtail to buy before Monday.
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Right, to prevent me procrastinating for eternity, I have set a deadline of Sunday 5pm to choose my new bike. Insurance cash replacement for 26″ SS Inbred “Hardcore Hardtail” classic of old. Had two very good wheels.

Any suggestions before I just get that Vitus on CRC clearance?
    Prefer Shimano/Not Fox Forks.
    26″ 650b/+ accepted.

Thanks ! Have fun!

wl
    Free Member

Add to it and buy a P7.

gaberin
    Free Member

If it’s cash get something second hand? There’s a good Sherpa in the classifieds..

matt_outandabout

I have just ordered – and it would be tough to beat the deal that this is – a Marin Nail Trail 7. SLX, dropper, light and wide wheels, Yari fork.
    Dependent on size – in 29er Flavour and 27.5 Flavour.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Can’t add to it, maybe by £100.

Have to cover insurance excess and generally skint. Thinking about 2nd hand but in order to insure the new bike for a grand I’m just buying something new, under warranty, for the first time in my life.
    I’ll spend a year bolting Hope and Rental to it every pay day.

Whats On One upto ? Also I am sad that Cotics are predictably expensive.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Duplicate

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Marin Nail Trail top of the list so far. Colours are meh but value is wuay.

Thanks Matt. Did you go for 650?

Predictably,Rutland Cycles are now following me around the web…

chakaping
    Free Member

Those Marins look very decent.

matt_outandabout

Thanks Matt. Did you go for 650

Yes, the 29er had sold out in my size.
    Should be dispatched today or tomorrow.
    Not that I am excited or owt.

FWIW, Scandal42 on here just got one and it looks better in his pic than some of the publicity shots. Clicky for piccy

cfinnimore
    Free Member

That looks much better in real life, Matt.

GT Pantera Elite with Revs. 1050

Yeah, I think that’s the one. For the next five minutes anyway.
    I’m so out of the loop I don’t know what order the forks go in anymore.
    Still Recon,Reba,Sector,Revs,Yari, Pike,other?

Oooh…. What’s Bird…*checks* FFS TBIS IS TOO HARD

core
    matt_outandabout

The Bird is nice – but has SRAM NX and a Silver damper 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That zero is nice, and a good price. NX will be fine, if a bawhair heavy, and once it wears out GX is reasonably priced, lighter than XT and bloody bombproof.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Furthermore for the first time ever, the budget is THE budget. 1000-1100.

No deviations. Otherwise I’ll hum and haw and cry and find money and whinge until I get a Bfe like an idiot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No deviations. Otherwise I’ll hum and haw and cry and find money and whinge until I get a Bfe like an idiot.

😆

scandal42
    Free Member

That’s my Marin.

4 rides in and I can vouch for it being an absolute hoot to ride.

It’s an incredibly good mix which rides reassuringly well pointed down but feels light and easy to ride going back up.

As already stated, it looks much better in the flesh.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Tell me why not to get the GT Pantera -best bike name ever- with Revs and in beautiful blue? 650b+

I have, however, wanted a Marin my whole life. No matter what the brand went through, they’ve come out the other side.

matt_outandabout

NX will be fine, if a bawhair heavy, and once it wears out GX is reasonably priced

Prefer Shimano

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve missed coming here. Nice to be back. Good to see some other folk haven’t been away. Turned out I missed brexit….

Unless notified of astonishing value,I’m buying that Marin.

funkmasterp

I’d get the Marin if I were in your shoes. Looks great value for the money

winrya
    Free Member

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-2-2017-mountain-bike-EV275644?esvt=52838-GOUKE2078192&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1146818-1&esvcrea=166222721919&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=aud-302411052180:pla-303396704584&esvo=EV275644-M-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKCAjwqcHLBRAqEiwA-j4AyM91JR1e5Pn-H-3UI5ZMWff44RzRLqC-gE1C7ZY2GnpP5ob_etdPcBoC7_sQAvD_BwE

I’ve got an iroko 4 after i realised my carbon 160 bikes weren’t getting the use they deserved. This bike is an absolute riot. Slack, long and well equipped. Smooth welds, internal cables and won a load of awards in the mountain bike mags

crashrash

If you can find a Whyte 529 or 629 the frame is awesome and worth upgrading. And both full bikes under the budget. Or get great value with Voodoo Bizingo from Halfords

oink1
    Free Member

Go for the 650 Marin 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

NX will be fine, if a bawhair heavy, and once it wears out GX is reasonably priced

Prefer Shimano

[/quote]
    Hard to compare the previous SRAM to the 11sp offerings. The 11sp is very very good. Just rolling around on my new bike with NX and it’s decent out the box, solid looking and shifting feels good.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll get the Marin.

Scandal/Matt What size frame did you get? How are your dimensions, long arms & legs?

I have just realised that if I get the large, it’s a 29″ and that’s bad news

matt_outandabout

I’ve a large in the courier wagon until Monday, and it’s 27.5….

(6′, long legs/33″ inseam)

They have sold out of large 29″.
    Just search thier site for nail trail and it comes up with two listings.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have the medium.

I’m a whisker under 5’10 and it feels perfect for me. Don’t think I could get away with a shorter stem though, although the stock one looks decent.

29er one rips 😉

pickle
    Free Member

but would probably go with this over the Marin, not liking the look of that to be honest.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-sentier-vrs-hardtail-bike-slx-1×11-2017/rp-prod146561

pickle
    Free Member

With that Vitus you could also buy a Brand X dropper as it has stealth routing

Bummer, just noticed it’s out of stock 🙁

prawny

Pinnacle Iroko

I recommended one to my mate and he loves it. I got the Vitus above and it’s great, but I half wish I’d got the Pinnacle, but it was more expensive and I’m skint.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Given that Vitus take 3 swingarms to every EWS race for one rider just to get through a weekend, I don’t think I’d be in a rush to buy one…

prawny

The silver forks on the bird are Steel stanchions not to do with the damper, TK is the cheap one RL the better motion control. Silver RL is available on stock bikes but not aftermarket.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Diamondback Heist 3.0 for 2018

Dropper post, Recon silver forks, 27.5+, 2.8 tyres, xt drivetrain and some money to spare.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d see the Recon Silver (and other “silver” RS forks) as a big minus point, personally.

Really unimpressed with the ones I’ve ridden.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Is the Yari a good fork?

bigbloke
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Insurance Paid Out. £1k Hardtail to buy before Monday.’ is closed to new replies.