• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ReallyOlderGit-spam.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Insurance for a 21 year old, any recommends?
  • Smuzzy
    Free Member

Looking to get a car for my lad, something around the £8K mark, thinking Astra, Fiesta, 207 Pug etc.

Any recommendations for insurance companies from you younger chaps? It will need to be Comp and with his Mum and me as named drivers. He has 2 years experience as a named driver on his Mum’s policy, but no official NCB other than this. Will any companies give an allowance for this?

Thanks

MS
    Free Member

best quote I got was from admiral (I am 20)

TheFlyingOx

Direct Line do named driver stuff, but that may just be named on a DL policy. I always found them a bit expensive though.

Cheapest I found when I was a wee slip of a boy were Endsleigh and Hyperformance. Hyperformance were generally a bit cheaper than Endsleigh, but the people who answer the phone there are grade-A tits. I wouldn’t fancy having to make a claim with them.

Nowadays, I alternate between Elephant, Adrian Flux and SKY.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

put some effort in man.

Moneysupermarket.com is your first port of call.
    comparethemarket after you find a cheap quote.
    then try direect line and aviva.

Also your buying your son an 8k car and insuring it for him!!! You must be minted.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Tom,

I totally agree, you try tell his mother!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£8k would get you a mint(ish) MG-BGT V8, or a roadster if thats his thing, insurance will be ~£350, chicks will love him, and he wont crash it becasue statisticaly your more likely to crash with passengers and no one will fit in the back!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

haha 😆

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i hear you can get cheaper insurance if you join car clubs and then use their discounted insurers. So if you buy a jap car join a japanese car club for example. Usually only cost £10-20 to join.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve never had a decent quote from anyone online.

Renewed mine yesterday (granted I’m 31) but with 7yr NC I got

Confused = £1000+ (with Swiftcover)
    Direct Line = £1800+
    Aviva = £2500+

In the end I renewed with Brentacre for £398 FC on a BMW 330Ci Sport.

When I was younger (21yr old – Golf GTI) I got cheap quotes from Tesco and Elephant. It might be worth sticking him on the 10mth accelerator at Elephant is the quote is reasonable.

saleem
    Free Member

Why don’t you get him to do his pass plus as it will lower his insurance with the companies below, I did mine last week which cost £150 so should save me over the couple of years, hope that helps.

AA
    Adrian Flux
    Bsm
    Churchill
    Co-op
    Direct Line
    Zurich
    Aviva
    Privilige
    Provident
    Royal and Sun Alliance
    Tesco
    Swinton
    Quinn Direct
    Endsleigh

hels
    Free Member

Buy him a banger ! My dad bought me an Anglia when I was 15 it was ace, I had to learn to drive properly (even taught me to double the clutch, no synchromesh) and if I wrecked it, which I didn’t although some letterboxes took heavy damage, it didn’t matter.

Mind you that was in NZ and car insurance is a matter of personal choice, not the total state condoned bend over and take it gouge that it is in the UK. We only had fire, 3rd party in case I hit a Mercedes, and theft (ha ha).

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Thanks Guy’s

I’ve tried the comparisonn sites, and they bring up the usual suspects, just wondered if there were any hidden gems that don’t come up from the compare the market types

ryan_c

another thumbs up for admiral, always cheap for me (im 22)
    they allownamed drivers to build up a ncb with them but ot sure if they allow it to come from other companies.

br
    Free Member

You’d be best aiming for a car he wouldn’t want to be seen dead in, insurance should be fine then.

ezzybee
    Free Member

Try getting a quote for all cars in family as an Admiral multi car policy, did this for my son and saved a fortune against a single quote.
    My wifes and my quotes were not quite as cheap as before but the savings on sons policy more than made up for it.

mrchrispy

if you live in manchester then don’t bother, no one else does.
    oh and don’t forget to teach him to blast through red lights and if he ever has kids then he’s okay to park directly outside the school to drop em off (apparently the yellow zigzags mean park he in some **** language).

annnnnnd relax…..

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Is he a good driver? Sign him up to take the IAM Advanced Test (£139) all in. He’s then guaranteed to get cover at a decent price

http://www.iam.org.uk/membership_of_the_iam/

http://www.iamsurety.com/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Insurance for a 21 year old, any recommends?’ is closed to new replies.