Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Home contents insurance claim.
  • Dr_Bakes

We recently got turned over during the day when the house was empty. Fortunately, despite it being a minimal effort after they'd turned over the house, the bikes were left alone. However they did get away with a good haul of electricals (laptops, wii, mp3 players and cameras) and jewellery.

The insurance company (M&S) have so far been very good but we just received a list of replacements that the company acting on M&S's behalf have found for what we lost. We've got a 'new for old' policy, but some of what was gone is no longer stocked so they've matched these items with 'similar' items; only they're not really that similar.

Examples include:
    Dell laptops to be replaced with Samsungs of similar spec.
    Cannon & Olympus cameras to be replaced with Fujis.
    Netbook bag for a being replaced with a bag for a 17" laptop bag?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be getting replacement stuff after the toerags have cleaned us out, but am I able to insist on paricular brands and the specs of the replacements. How alike do the 'like for like' replacements need to be?

One of the Dells was only bought 3 months ago and is still be available so I'd hoped I'd get a direct replacement, not be palmed off with a Samsung that they can get cheap from their supplier? I also want any small items (memory cards, spare batteries) that were missed by the tea leaves to be of use with the replacements, but that won't be the case if they're different makes?

We're pulling together a list of issues but what are my rights from your experience? If I ask for cash presumably it'll only be to the value of these lower spec or lower quality brand replacements?

uplink
    Free Member

I'd just let them know that you don't think Samsung, Fuji etc. is a comparable product to what you lost & if they can't source similar, you'll happily take a cheque & do it yourself

Everywhen
    Free Member

Insurance Co will have deals with suppliers and so get the replacements at a discount. If their suppliers do not have the exact goods they match as closely as they can.
    Usually they are prepared to provide a cheque, but for a lesser amount that that of the value of the goods they have listed.

Cougar

I had this a few years ago.

I had a hifi system taken, and the insurance company specced out a 'replacement.' When I'd stopped laughing, I replied "so you bloody think so" and pointed out that I'd spent weeks researching kit and an insurance company wasn't going to be speccing a replacement randomly out of a catalogue. They went, "ok then, here's a cheque."

Cougar

Specifically in your case, I wouldn't be accepting a Fuji laptop as replacement for a Dell unless I'd accidentally agreed to a shite-for-like policy.

Harry_the_Spider

We did the same when I broke the TV by dropping something heavy on it (oops).

We didn't like their choice of replacement so they (M&S) sent a cheque instead without any hassle.

Dr_Bakes

Exactly Cougar, so did you manage to get a cheque for your valuation of the HiFi or their's?

My worry is they'll say "here's a replacement for your Dell laptop (RRP £600)" and it'll be crappy £300 Micky Mouse Samsung with 'similar' processor, memory and HD. I'll say "thanks but no thanks" and they'll hand me a cheque but only for the £300?

Everywhen
    Free Member

My worry is they'll say "here's a replacement for your Dell laptop (RRP £600)" and it'll be crappy £300 Micky Mouse Samsung with 'similar' processor, memory and HD. I'll say "thanks but no thanks" and they'll hand me a cheque but only for the £300?

That's the way they want it to work. You have to hold your ground and convince them otherwise.

I understand its to minimise false claims,a friends parents would claim for all sorts of stuff that wasn't damaged, when they fancied a bit of extra cash, insurance Co sent a cheque they were happy. That changed though when they claimed for a stained carpet and insurance Co sent round a fella to clean it!
    Saves insurance Co loads too.

Cougar

so did you manage to get a cheque for your valuation of the HiFi or their's?

For mine – I took out insurance on my equipment, not theirs. I suppose it depends on the policy (and the insurers) but as far as I was concerned, that was the value of the kit. They didn't really argue it at all, perhaps I was just lucky but they paid out in full without argument once I'd kicked it back at them.

Cougar

I wonder also if it hinges on whether you take the proverbial. If they think you're trying if on, perhaps they dig their heels in more. I was honest as I could be about the whole thing.

Dr_Bakes

Ok, sounds like I'll need to fight my corner and see what they'll cough up. We genuinely haven't added anything to the claim that wasn't stolen so I'm not taking the piss, but it sounds like they will if I don't stand my ground. Thanks all.

Cougar

In your case, I'd suggest pricing up your own replacements. Your Dell is still available, is the price the same? If it's dropped, that's the price I'd be claiming. (How on earth they can justify substituting products when the exact product is still for sale, I don't know.)

Going to them and going "well, the Dell was £600 new, but it's now £550, so that's what I'm claiming" will go a long way towards getting you what you want, I'd wager.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I wouldn't accept a fuji camera for a cannon or olympus. Lenses likely to be much better quality on the Cannon & Olympus.

Dr_Bakes

I still have one lens that escaped the scumbags' atention from my Cannon DSLR so it'll be little use if they replace it with something else. I'll factor that into the arguement for a start!

fatboyslo
    Free Member

One word of advice….

DO NOT treat the claim and offer like an argument,

rather try to treat it as Negotiations to wards a mutually acceptable settlement of your claim.

Bear in mind the insurer has no idea if you are honest, genuine and fair with your claim or taking the proverbial.

If you calmly point out the situation re laptop spec and reliability or the lens situation with the camera etc you will go a long way to getting a full settlement if your claim as you will have shown yourself to be reasonable in their eyes and they will be much more inclined to send you the cheque and save their efforts for the cheating scumbags who are trying to fiddle the claims system

jlc
    Free Member

Not sure if it helps but in my situation it helped doing the following. For items stolen and no longer available I spoke and got the manufacturer to say what the equivalent model is nowadays and rrp. For instance in terms of hifi the equivalent model had gone up in price. For computers if they are old, the equivalent model was cheaper. I was honest and put all the details down on the claim form ie paid price and equivalent replacement price with the corresponding emails for backup. Also put details on saying I had chosen the particular hifi after listening etc. So in terms of camera you could argue you want such or such a manufacturer because of lenses etc, ergomnomics etc. Mine eventually settled with a cheque, but it did take me a while to source all the information for the claim form.

Xylene
    Free Member

Can I claim for my smashed laptop on my house insurance? I never thought about it until now, just accepted I had broken it.

Would I send them the laptop in bits and is it ok to remove the HDD first to keep my files safe?

Dr_Bakes

Good advice fatboyslo, it's been a bad enough experience already without needing to hit a brick wall with the insurance company.

jlc, I like the idea and I'll give it a go for some of the easier items, in particular cameras. the downside is it'll string things out and some of these things are needed in the not too distant future. I guess, how protracted to make this is partly my decision to make.

Quirrel, it'll depend on your insurance and whether it includes accidental damage? An old friend of mine managed to drop hers out of a third floor window (I have no idea how exactly) and claimed for that. Personally I think such stupidity should be exempt but I don't make the rules!

ebygomm
    Free Member

When I had a load of climbing stuff stolen, I produced a spreadsheet itemising the price I paid for the item, the price it was sold at now or nearest equivalent, a link to website with item for sale, and indicated whether I had a receipt or proof of purchase. Some things were cheaper to replace than I'd originally paid, some were more expensive.

I expected them to query something, but I just got a cheque in the mail without hearing anything further after I sent them the spreadsheet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Home contents insurance claim.’ is closed to new replies.