Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insurance claim.
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Story goes like this.
    Parked on the side of the road getting ready to get out the car to go to work. Look in both mirrors, open my car door. Bang. Knock the wing mirror of a fiesta that was hurtling past. Sh*t. I get out, she pulls over. Are you all right, yeah were both fine. Check the damage, wing mirror is smashed on herr car, bit of paint scratched on the body work and about a 1m long blue line where my door scraped hers. Bugger. Check mine, bit of a dent in the door corner but I can live with that, its a banger anyway. Do you want to settle this outside of insurance. Yes she says. OK, you go get a quote, and i can write you a check. Sure.
    But then I’m thinking, was it actually my fault? Doesnt she have to pass the car at least a doors length away? Its her right of way and all but…
    Anyway, got a letter in the post this morning asking me to acknowledge a claim. 🙁 Gutted. Bit annoyed as she was fine about sorting this privately, now she wants it all done through the insurance! Bit*h!
    Never had a claim in my life. What do I expect? and is this winnable by me? Is there a way to word this so that I look favourable without bending the truth etc. (no fraud please)

irc

No, it’s your fault. Depending on road width and conditions maybe some blame on her. It is bad driving to pass parked cars closer than necessary.

Bottom line though is that you need to check it is safe before opening your door.

andyl
    Free Member

Just wait for the whiplash claim to come!

Nothing you can do really. You opened the door. Obviously if your door was only 6 inches open or if you had the door just open and were watching her in the mirror then you could try and prove dangerous driving on her part.

I wonder if she has realised her insurance will be going up for the next few years too. Depending on the repairs it could well be done for the cost of your excess but it’s been reported now so you are a bit stuffed.

nuke

Bit annoyed as she was fine about sorting this privately, now she wants it all done through the insurance! Bit*h!

Seems harsh. It was your fault after all. She probably realised that she now has to go to all the hassle and time of getting quotes, liaising with you to agree quotes, getting the work done and not having a car for a day or two etc. Simpler on her part to get the insurance to sort it all

turtleheading
    Free Member

So annoying. I have literally just got my 5 years no claims as well, meaning for the first time in my life my is actually bearable…

andyl
    Free Member

I hope you have it protected?

nealglover
    Free Member

But then I’m thinking, was it actually my fault?

Yes

Doesnt she have to pass the car at least a doors length away?

No.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Insurance claim.’ is closed to new replies.