Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Insulating downlighters
  • nick1c
    Free Member

When we did up our house the building inspector was very insistant about putting 85mm cellotex on the ceiling (we have a vaulted roof). Bizarrely he wasn't interested in the single skin 9" block walls or the holes cut in the insulation for downlighters. I have used the thickest thermal plasterboard I could find for the external walls & so far ignored the lights…………But I noticed today that the snow is melting at the apex of our roof, which made me think about this again. The only things I have found so far are intumecent (?sp) covers at £6 a pop & I need about 50! Are there any cheaper options (maybe not specifically for fireproofing) that anyone knows about?

matt_outandabout

I wouldn't bother about saving heat if you have 50 Halogen downl ighters on the go.

nick1c
    Free Member

They're never all on the go – but they are all letting heat out all the time.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the intumescent hoods are the simplest, easy option. You can get them for less than £6 I think – you need to have a shop around.

I intend doing the same with my downlighters, when I get some time.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I made a load of 6" sq X 4" high mdf boxes to prevent fire and stop the heat from entering the roof cavity, as I was having problems with condensation in the loft.

leebaxter
    Free Member

swap to led lights, and insulate above lights.

nick1c
    Free Member

Last time I considered LED's they didn't provide the light levels of halogens…….and I now have all the fittings. The only way for me to sensibly swap would be if LED units were as good as halogens at providing light and fitted into the same base unit.

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Hmm,
    The hoods you mention @ £ 6.00 each should have been fitted upon installation in order to gain build control approval?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Insulating downlighters’ is closed to new replies.