Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insulated plasterboard advice
  • Gunz
    Free Member

We live in an old house that has suffered from damp in the cupboards. I recently dot and dabbed some 30mm thick insulated plasterboard into them and it seems to have completely cured the problem.
    I’m now thinking of doing the same to one complete wall of my Daughter’s bedroom which never gets any sun and is subsequently quite cold/damp.
    Am I doing the right thing or is all the damp just going to sit behind the board and fester?

wwaswas

if the damp is condensation then you’ll be fine.

if it’s coming ‘out of the wall’ from inside the structure somehow then it will continue to happen and may cause problems.

edit: you’ll lose some more floor area but you can put battens on the wall to space the insualtion away from it, leave small gaps top and bottom and this will allow the wall to breathe to a certain extent. note: I am not a damp expert!

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks Was, I’m pretty sure it’s condensation.
    Is there any way of finding out for sure, I’ve heard that moisture metres aren’t a particularly sound method?

globalti
    Free Member

We had a cold bedroom that was in an extension outside the main body of the house and we got the walls dry-lined with battens, Kingspan and then insulated plasterboard over the top, as well as thick Kingspan in the ceiling. It was well worth the expense, the room is toasty now.

One problem: if you lean too hard on the walls the insulation squashes and the screws attaching it to the battens pop out, causing a chunk of skim to break out. Can live with that though.

nealglover
    Free Member

One problem: if you lean too hard on the walls the insulation squashes and the screws attaching it to the battens pop out, causing a chunk of skim to break out. Can live with that though.

A better method is to attach the Kingspan to the existing internal wall with board adhesive, then line with thin plasterboard before skimming.

I used to install internal insulation.

teenrat

I had a similar problem and managed to find this product http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/erfurt-mav-wallrock-kv600-thermal-liner.html

Despite apprehension and advice that it wont work as it is too thin, it has proved to be excellent and has reduced dampness and cold walls completly. Its very easy to apply and i really recommend it.

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks all, this advice has really set my mind to rest and given me a few good ideas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Insulated plasterboard advice’ is closed to new replies.