Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Instant messaging app suitable for kids 6-10 yrs??
  • ads678

Does anyone know of or use such a thing?

I’d like my kids to be able to message their cousins in France in a group like on whatsapp? But can’t seem to find any with decent reviews. Any info/recommendations would be great if anyone has used one with their kids.

Want to be able to use it on tablets rather than phones.

mogrim

Edit: although you do get the odd contact request from spammers. Which you’ll need to check up on.

ads678

Yeah we did think of Skype, as we use that from time to time now anyway, but wasn’t sure if the format was easy to use like texting or whatsapp.

Don’t mind paying a few quid a year if it keeps the spammers at bay.

bails

Google hangouts? Create an email for the kids and one for the cousins. Don’t use it anywhere else and it shouldn’t end up on any spam lists.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatsapp. No spam, no adverts, only folk that know your number.

scaled
    Free Member

Create a Skype account and have a device thats logged in with that user. Everything will be mirrored to both devices for maximum snooping

greentricky
    Free Member

Yeh my 10 year old and all the classmates use skype to keep in touch

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I’d go with whatsapp…..think that I’ve been added to one spam type group chat in two years of using it…..but then I enter my number online all the time when I’m buying stuff, registering for things etc so it’s probably even less likely that 6-10 year olds will get spammed.

mogrim

Whatsapp doesn’t currently have video calling, though – which is why I suggested Skype. You also need a telephone to use it, which could also be a problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You don’t need to be using a phone, though you need one to set it up, as you can use whatsappweb on a tablet.

mogrim

You don’t need to be using a phone, though you need one to set it up, as you can use whatsappweb on a tablet.

Yeah, but you’re sharing the whatsapp account with whoever owns the phone. Not much good for multiple kids + dad-who-owns-the-phone.

chakaping
    Free Member

Skype works well for my eight year old and her cousin.

Lots of emojis and stuff for them to mess about with

ads678

Cheers for the reply’s, I’ll speak to my sister about getting them set up on Skype.

Whatsapp won’t work as we want them to use it on their tablets as they din’t have phones.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Instant messaging app suitable for kids 6-10 yrs??’ is closed to new replies.