Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • installing star fangled nut / supporting fork
  • anono

Just about to instal the star fangled nut in my new forks. I’ve got the proper tool, but just wondering what’s the best way to support the forks when i start hammering?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Put them on the floor with some cardboard under them.

robbo
    Free Member

In a vice around the steerer tube is easy. Doesn’t need much ‘hammering’ anyway. I normally just hold it in my hand on some carpet to protect the lowers.

the_lecht_rocks

Not on the floor !!! May crack the lowers !!!!

Wally

Use a workmate and rest steerer base on the edge + use the right tool to set the star fangled nut. Simples.
    As TLR says you do not want to rest fork on the floor and have the fork wheel mouldings take the shock of your hammer.

honourablegeorge

I usually support the steerer in the headset of a frame, with the lowers supported by a wheel.

scaredypants

wot hgeorge said

though (as I’m not a peasant) I use a head doctor anyway

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Your dropouts will be fine on the floor. I’d be more nervous about scratching the steerer in a vice! A few layers of card or a block of softwood will protect the paint though.

And as above, I much prefer head doctors for alu steerers. Less brutal, and less chance of bimetallic corrosion.

Popocatapetl

Buy a hope head doctor. Best £12 spent ever. Hassle free and can be swopped to another set of forks.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s the easiest job in the world, just tap it in, takes 2 seconds. As easy as riding a bike. Actually… its easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘installing star fangled nut / supporting fork’ is closed to new replies.