Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Installing patio doors – ballpark figures?
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve had a couple of quotes for replacing a window with patio doors (same width). They both seem pretty expensive to me, anyone done similar recently and care to share how much it cost?

qwerty
    Free Member

dunno, but we’re liking the Wickes concertina doors, good reviews, please fit these and let us know how you get on.

😉

tony24
    Free Member

I am a double glazing installer the cost of patio doors is generally quite high i would be charging around the 800 mark to supply and fit. They would be high quality not the cheap stuff.

Imho i have fitted wicks double glazing before and i dont like it not enough reinforcing, cheap units and cheap locks. Always go for a better brand imo they will work alot better for alot more years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ebygomm
    Free Member

tony24 – that’s about what I’d expect to pay, the quotes we’ve had are more than double that

nealglover
    Free Member

Guessing on a standard (ish) double door size, any more than £1000 supplied and fitted and you are getting your leg lifted I would say.

(unless they are far bigger, or you are getting something massively better than mid range doors)

ebygomm
    Free Member

Standardish size – 1790mm wide

redthunder
    Free Member

£1500

project
    Free Member

ebygomm , what does the job entail, removal of any brick or blockwork below the window, soft or hardwood frame, upvc door and frame, sliding or hinged,any repars to plsterwork, step outside, planning permission granted, laminated or touchened glass,

2 teas no sugar

weeksy

1100 in UPVC woodeffct

speckledbob
    Free Member

I agree with tony24 about wickes. Cheap units will not last long. Do it once and properly. Straight in and out job, anywhere up to £1500.

tony24
    Free Member

Brickwork knock out or not its still only a days wage if you wanted all internal made good then you would be lookiing at more

Zedsdead
    Free Member

tony24 I currently have aluminium doors (at least 15 years old, maybe 20?) which let cold air in (from between the doors – think the seal has gone?) and rattle a bit.

Can you recomend a new door to replace it with?

apologies for hi-jack!

ebygomm
    Free Member

UPVC french doors, brickwork knocking out beneath window (can dispose of ourself). No making good required – we’ve just knocked a wall out internally so the whole room is being redone anyway – no planning permission required, no step needed.

tony24
    Free Member

Yep pretty much the price i said cutting the brickwork out takes no time at all.

@ zedsdead its probably the brushes which sit in the channels of the door they have a semi ridgid plastic in them that wears and the brushes begin to fall out over many years. You could just replace the brushes if the doors and units are ok.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Many thanks tony24

ebygomm
    Free Member

Tony24 and others – if wickes are no good are there any other brands that you’d recommend that can be bought off the shelf?

tony24
    Free Member

Not really mate could always send me over some sizes and i can try and sort you some at trade price plus delivery it will cost more than wickses but they will be 10x better in terms of the quality pf units, locks etc.

My email address is tony18@hotmail.co.uk

5thElefant
    Free Member

£1000 for replacing old doors for new doors recently. So… £1500 sounds about right.

mcboo
    Free Member

We used ID Systems, they are the UK end of German brand Sunflex. Weren’t cheap but rock solid and very nice looking….brushed aluminium sliding/folding things. They came round in the summer and gave them a quick service, didnt even charge us. Very recommended.

http://www.i-d-systems.co.uk/folding-doors/index.php

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Installing patio doors – ballpark figures?’ is closed to new replies.