Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Installing Octalink BB?
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’m building a bike for a friend.
    BB shell is 68mm and BB is 68mm but once drive side is fully screwed into the frame the non drive side cup doesn’t screw all the way in.

Should i even it out and unscrew the drive side a bit or tighten the non drive side as much as I can?

cheers STW

Marko

Hi,

Had this last week. Issue for me was different length of the plastic cup. New one was longer than the old. Solution was to use the old one.
    Hth
    Marko

foxyrider
    Free Member

is the non-drive side collar the right length? – is it 2nd hand – if not I’d grease everything and put the non-driveside collar in first most of the way and then to a final tighten after putting the drive side in?

Edit: damn too late 🙂

P20

Is it marked 68E? Could be a bb for e-type front mechs, the driveside cup would be longer?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have had this – the crucial thing is to get the driveside wound right it IMO as that controls the chainline then the non drive side until tight

dufresneorama
    Free Member

The frame and BB are second hand from different sources.

I’ll try it again tonight. Remove all clean and re-grease.
    But would it be better for the drive side to be flush with the frame?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d be betting that the non-drive collar is too long as said above? The BB drive side should be flush unless as above its an E type?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Nice one.

I’ll whip it out tonight and check the BB label. Providing it’s the correct type I’ll stick it back in making sure the drive side is flush and tighten the crap out the non drive side.

Thanks again folks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Installing Octalink BB?’ is closed to new replies.