Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Inspire me – meal ideas for fillet steak
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fancy pushing the boat out this weekend and cooking my wife a nice meal. Really fancy doing steak and my wife prefers fillet so…

Anyone with nice ideas for ways of serving?

I was thinking dauphinoise potatoes and grilled sweet red pepper (big mushroom for me too) but has anone got any other suggestions?

Ta in advance 🙂

binners

😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I only ever it fillet raw, as a carpaccio. Black pepper, bit of parmigiana, some oil.

Cooking it is a waste IMO 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

makes sure you don’t overcook the steak – remember just hot in the middle,

Chargrilled asparagus?

DrP

Take it out of the fridge a few hrs before cooking too…..

Try it with a bit of soy, ginger, garlic, and spring onion marinade?

DrP

tonyd

Cooked medium rare on one of those griddle pan things, steak cut oven chips (Morrisons own are better than McCains etc IMO), big mushrooms cooked in the oven, Heinz baked beans. Oh, and a slice of bread and butter for a chip butty.

I cooked this for the missus last weekend (although sirloin). You can keep your fancy spuds!

Alternatively I love Tournedos Rossini, with a jacket potato

Edit to add: A proper tournedo rossini uses Fois Gras but that doesn’t seem so popular outside France 🙂

Edit again: This recipe looks better

D0NK

Will I get flamed for suggesting smothering it in a blue cheese sauce? Roquefort, yorkshire blue whatever you fancy, mushrooms and onions in there too, your choice of potatoes. Mmmm not done that for ages, might amend that at weekend.

Drac

We have steak most Fridays and always fillet.

Cook it on a grill pan to your and WIfe’s liking, medium rare in this house the Wife has learned to prefer it.

I’m traditional and love chips, garlic mushrooms and tomatoes with mine. That said when Asparagus is in season then yup grilled Asparagus takes some beating.

No sauce, if you need sauce for your steak find a new butcher.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Medium rare? Are you insane? It’s already dead, no need to ruin it!

Saignant, with some proper home made chips and grilled asparagus. Win. IMO, Dauphinoise can be a little too rich with a steak. Better with some nice lamb cutlets. Nom.

Stoner
    Free Member

We have steak most Fridays and always fillet.

bet you have heated wing mirrors too?

Oh, how the other ‘alf live eh!

richmtb

If you cook it right it won’t need sauce as it will still be bleeding!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Home made potato wedges with garlic and rosemary.

Simple cream and peppercorn sauce.

Spinach.

Blue.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cook it on a grill pan to your and WIfe’s liking, medium rare in this house the Wife has learned to prefer it.

Rare to medium rare for me, medium rare to medium for my wife.

No sauce, if you need sauce for your steak find a new butcher.

Not thinking sauce, just nice food to complement it.

Hmm – wedges are a good option – we do those quite a lot.

Scamper
    Free Member

Keep it nice and simple, no fancy sauces. On a hot griddle, cooked from room temp, a bit of oil rubbed in and rare, season. Asparagus and possibly some nice chips.

tonyd

If you cook it right it won’t need sauce as it will still be bleeding!

Cut off its horns and wipe its arse.

ourmaninthenorth

When we have fillet (Mrs North’s pref), we have it with fresh green beans and new potatoes.

And a very nice homemade salsa verde. Want the recipe?

The flavour of fillet all depends on the quality of the meat – this is due to there being not enough fat to give it a punchy flavour (like sirloin, which is best for steaks IMO).

Cook on a cast iron skillet. Absolute max 3 mins each side..!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

medium rare to medium for my wife, soon to be divorced on grounds of cruelty to good food.

FTFY.

😉

If you’ve got good fillet, you really shouldn’t be overcooking it. You only need to cook bad meat to that sort of level. And if you’re buying bad meat, you shouldn’t be!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Take it out of the fridge a few hrs before cooking too…..

Very good advice – mustn’t forget to do that.

ourmaninthenorth

Asparagus

Good call – it’s in season!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    medium rare to medium for my soon to be divorced on grounds of cruelty to good food wife.
    FTFY.

She used to ask for it well done. I cried a little inside every time she did.

Zoolander
    Free Member

This. http://www.lincolnshirewildvenison.co.uk/steakaupoivre/
    Works great with pretty much any kind of steak 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pepper and salt, fresh oregano if you have it, then from the other side of the kitchen introduce it formally to the cooker. Serve.

or if you insist. Cook for about 90seconds each side over a high heat. Once done set aside (you should let it sit for a few minutes after cooking before eating)Splosh wine in pan keeping heat high, get all the residue disolved into the wine, that is your ‘sauce’, pour over stake, take from oven the best possible chips (or your home made wedges) that you prepared earlier, rocket based salad, more wine in some form of silicon based vessel.

Consume.

theotherjonv

check Heston Blumenthal’s method. He is a prize one in many ways, but his explanation on the science of cooking steak (and home made burgers) made a lot of sense to me and since then, have had some spectacularly successful results even with (go on, flame me) ‘supermarket quality’ steak.

I can’t remember exactly the method, i have to check each time but basically it is a very hot pan and turning it every few seconds, rather than x minutes each side.

Sorry – to the OP; for accompaniment, fresh vegetables (broccoli’s good) done in the same pan as the steak – stick a lid on it, add a bit of boiling water from the kettle and half grill half steam with the lovely juicy meaty steam. Or carrots, cooked al dente, drain off 95% of the water, add a liberal dollop of honey and allow the rest of the water to steam off for honey glazed carrots.

alfresco
    Free Member

1) Wrap each fillet in smoked streaky bacon and tie into a little parcel with string.
    2) Pan fry with a little olive oil.
    3) Remove the steaks and put 50ml of beef or chicken bouillon in the pan (1/2 a stock cube in 50ml of water), add a grinding of pepper.
    4) Evaporate down to a table spoon and add 80ml Maderia wine (or Marsala if that’s available).
    5) Boil vigorously and remove from the heat.
    6) Pour the sauce over the steaks.
    7) Garnish with a few lemon zests.
    8) Serve with jersey royal potatoes and fresh broad beans.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Heston – 20secs per side keep turning for 2-3mins… rest for 5 mins.

Works beautifully.

If you really want to impress make Beef Wellington.

Drac

bet you have heated wing mirrors too?

Oh, how the other ‘alf live eh!

I think so I tell you when my new car arrives, I wish it would hurry up I need to pop down to the butchers.

It’s tough at the top.

I like good food and by chance the local butcher does offers on stead on a Friday, costs about £12 for 2 good fat fillets. Mmmm!

theotherjonv

Heston:

Flip, flip, flip for restaurant-quality steak

One of the simplest things you can cook is a steak, and there are some simple steps you can take to make sure it’s as good as one you’d get in a restaurant. Firstly, the steak should be at room temperature. Have the pan smoking hot – that’s what a lot of people don’t do.

Leave it on the heat for ten or 15 minutes, so when the oil goes in, it smokes. Don’t put loads in, you need just enough to coat the cracks and crevices of the steak. I’d use groundnut oil or grapeseed oil. Salt the steak, don’t pepper it. If you’re going to put it in a hot pan, it might scorch the pepper.

Put the steak into the pan so it falls away from you: don’t put it in towards you because you don’t want to splash the oil. And then, and this is the magical thing, flip it every 15 seconds. Just flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. It will cook more evenly and you’ll get the crust.

It’s counterintuitive because you think you should leave it in there and turn it half way through. But if you keep flipping, you’ve got the hot bit in the pan then you expose it to the air, it’s another way of getting an even heat to the meat. You’ll get a nice brown outside that’s lovely in the middle.

Take the steak out of the pan and rest it on a cake rack. Resting it for five minutes allows it to cool down. If you start eating it straight out of the pan, the juice will come out and it will be dry. But don’t put it on a plate, as the plate will sandwich the heat – it’s better on a rack where the air will circulate. Then you can pepper it, and maybe rub it with butter and I would then slice it.

scuzz
    Free Member

check Heston Blumenthal’s method. He is a prize one in many ways, but his explanation on the science of cooking steak (and home made burgers) made a lot of sense to me and since then, have had some spectacularly successful results even with (go on, flame me) ‘supermarket quality’ steak.

Heston says to turn it over every 30 seconds (Edit: beaten to it, I read 30 seconds from him… I blame the radio times.) For medium rare, supermarket steak, I do this for about 4 minutes. Don’t season with pepper before, because the really hot pan will just burn it.

Steak out, let it rest (on a warm plate if possible, mine goes cold quickly), loads of red wine in the hot pan, Flambé while looking your wife deep in the eyes…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thanks all – sounds like I will be dong the HB flip and the carrots sound nice too.

Mmmmm

Now…

What wine for a steak supper?

bigG
    Free Member

Beef Wellington, with twice fried home made chips, home made onion rings and asparagus works well with it too

That’s what I’m making for our tea tonight anyway

tonyd

I think we might have to have steak for tea tomorrow!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Heston’s way + asparagus + rocket + dressing (red wine, red wine vinegar, olive oil done in the steak pan while it rests.

theotherjonv

The pan has to be hot. To work properly, we take the batteries out of the smoke detector and aim for the point where you’re worried about burning the house down before it goes in.

Drac
    zokes
    Free Member

If you really want to impress make Beef Wellington.

This – I did the Scottish obnoxious shouty one’s recipe for New Year’s Day this year – I can safely say it’s the nicest thing I’ve ever cooked. Just make sure you get it out of the fridge a few hours before, as you’ll need to pop it back in there a couple of times to make the ‘shrooms and ham etc hold their shape when you take the clingfilm back off.

loum
    Free Member

In true STW fashion, don’t bother – buy something else. 😉
    If you’re going to cook it then buy a tasty cut like T-bone with a bit of fat in to give it some flavour.
    No-one will ever say that fillet’s not a good cut, but the truth is that there are more flavoursome cuts.
    Learn to use them well and you will have a tastier meal.
    Fillet steak is like the jewellery of the meat world. Expensive and showy, but not always the best thing to use.
    You wouldn’t make a bike out of gold. 😉

If you going to anyway. Oil and season, then onto the hottest grill possible. Sear it , turn it, sear it. remove , rest , eat.

stevomcd
    Free Member

zokes – we do exactly that in the chalet at New Year. Amazing!

Drac

Fillet steak is like the jewellery of the meat world. Expensive and showy, but not always the best thing to use.

It’s also down to personal preference I like the flavour from a good fillet but I also like a good sirloin.

anagallis_arvensis

Is it just me or is fillet steak a little, well, bland?
    Beef wellington is the best suggestion so far imo.

almightydutch
    Free Member

As close to ‘Mooing’ as possible for me, all the cooking mularky just toughens it up

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me – meal ideas for fillet steak’ is closed to new replies.