Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Inset Day tomorrow
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Normally they wind me up a bit, it means finding places for the kids to go & as they are at different schools the inset days tend to be on different days…however

Tomorrow I am taking my 8 year old to The Motor Museum at Beaulieu, he specifically wants to look at the steam powered world record car, then we are going to stay down at the seaside and then a trip to The Tank Museum on Saturday, I've been looking forwards to one to one time with him for weeks. He says he's excited too 🙂

IdleJon

Cool day out! Can I come as well? 🙂

Inset days drive me up the wall as well.

eldridge
    Free Member

he specifically wants to look at the steam powered world record car

He's eight years old? FFS he's already eighty

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The Steam Powered Steam Car wasnt there yet 🙁

He has started designing the car to beat it (mind you I think his design needs a bit of work)

jon1973
    Free Member

he specifically wants to look at the steam powered world record car

He's eight years old? FFS he's already eighty

An 8 year old interested in fast cars? yep, sounds normal to me. Not sure why that gives him the mindset of an eighty year old.

IanMunro
    Free Member

For the barren among us, what's an inset day?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Inset = In service training days for teachers. It means your kids need to find an alternative child minding service on these days.

They drive me up the wall too – and I'm a teacher!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cheers!

surfer
    Free Member

Its a training day that for whatever reason has to impact on teaching, instead of being taken during the ample holiday period.
    Consequently it means children get another day off when they could be in lessons.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

as said above, parents have to sort out a day off work or childminding.. they tend to happen around holidays.

Younger son had two more days off after Christmas hols, while the older one was at school, the older one has the Friday and Monday either side of half term off… very luck we have Grandparents close, god knows what we would do otherwise, schools get more holiday than my misses & I.

Oh well, we made the most of Friday, Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard, then the Tank Museum at Bovingdon on the Saturday, a proper male bonding weekend 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

instead of being taken during the ample holiday period.

Can you tell me which other profession requires that compulsory training is done during staff holidays? I'm certainly not aware of any.

wheelz
    Free Member

Can you tell me which other profession requires that compulsory training is done during staff holidays? I'm certainly not aware of any.

Can you tell me which other profession has a similar amount of holiday time compared to teachers?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Can you tell me which other profession has a similar amount of holiday time compared to teachers?

Key word there is "holiday". Whatever your opinion is about the length of a teacher's holiday it is exactly that and no other profession gives up it's holidays to do compulsory training. Unlike most other professions, the timing of their holidays is fixed and they cannot take advantage of any "cheap deals". Of course when you look at the entire package that teachers receive, the long holidays and the good pension is offset by relatvely low wages. Certainly amongst the lowest for a profession that requires at least one and is some cases two degree qualifications. I know that after 3-4 years of working as an Engineer I was earning far more that either of my parents who were both teachers. All that being said, the question I asked.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where is the Tank Museum? It souns awesome.

surfer
    Free Member

Of course when you look at the entire package that teachers receive, the long holidays and the good pension is offset by relatvely low wages.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "relatively" given the pay scale and the holidays etc, pro rata the pay is very good.

surfer
    Free Member

Certainly amongst the lowest for a profession that requires at least one and is some cases two degree qualifications

What teachers require 2 degrees? I have a degree and a PGCE and that is the normal route. A PGCE takes much less time than a degree and i did mine part time (I am not a teacher)
    The bottom line is that teachers receive significantly greater holidays than any other professional body. When holidays are extended for training it appears wholy unfair.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The Tank Museum is in Dorset :- Tanks!

surfer
    Free Member

Unlike most other professions, the timing of their holidays is fixed and they cannot take advantage of any "cheap deals".

The same as a large proportion of the population who have children of school age. The difference is they dont get the 6 weeks in the summer!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Oh & I agree with sufer about inset days, lots of jobs with online training have to do it out of hours. Lots of business people have to get to meetings in odd places for first thing in the morning, its not training but it is still working out of hours.

uplink
    Free Member

I have to do 1 day (evening) a week at college without any extra pay

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it ? I don't do 1.36x the days teachers do, but get paid that (out of uni by 2 years, comparing my salary to teachers starting salary outside London, from memory)

Still quite fancy it for a few years though, by all accounts the pay rises aren't too bad (especialy in science and maths where I'd end up) for the first few years, but then there's a bit of a glass celing untill you get enough experience to get a more senior role.

8:30-4:00 every day + marking is as long a day as any other job.

And judgeing by the lack of quantity and quality of teachers it could be argued we're not paying enough to attract the right numbers of good graduates into it.

gonefishin
    Free Member

When holidays are extended for training it appears wholy unfair.

Teacher's holidays aren't extended for training though are they. They are still at work. Just because the pupils aren't there doesn't mean that the Teachers are on holiday too.

…its not training but it is still working out of hours.

If you think that a teacher's day ends when the pupils leave the schools then you are mistaken. Lesson planning and marking all have to be done outside normal school hours.

Drac

/wave

/wave

Well sometimes it has to be but not always.

Anyway never heard of an inset day, oop North we still call them well teaching training days.

surfer
    Free Member

If you think that a teacher's day ends when the pupils leave the schools then you are mistaken. Lesson planning and marking all have to be done outside normal school hours.

The old "marking at home" doesnt wash. I live next to a school and although I leave at 7 and dont get home till after 5 on the occasional day that I work from home the teachers arrive around 8:30 and they all leave (except for the headteacher) within a few minutes of the bell. Many are pulling out of the car park before the children have been collected!
    They are not weighed down with files either, funnily enough!
    As regard the lessons planning we used to joke about the same projects being set year in year out it must have been boring seeing the same questions and the same answers, little repeat planning, more set it once then forget it for 5 years!

kevonakona
    Free Member

Your right teachers are sh*t and teaching is a joke of a job done by lay about wasters. You can tell this by the lazy and the ill educated that are pumped out the gates. Anyone one who feels that they have had a modicum of an education should stop for a second and wonder where that came from.

A* the kids great, fail it's the teachers fault.

surfer
    Free Member

Your right teachers are sh*t and teaching is a joke of a job done by lay about wasters.

I dont think anyone said that, are you a teacher or a primary school age student? If the latter you need to try harder as your grammar is poor. If the former then I suspect that line of "educated types" "pumped" from the gates may soon dry up!

kevonakona
    Free Member

In my experience your observations state in your post just do not apply. Lots of work taken home, no one rolling through the gate at 8.30 and very seldom does anyone leave before 4 in fact most evening i don't leave until well after 5 having been in contact with pupils for the entire day. teaching's not a job where you can have an off day and hide away (i did that often enough in my prvious job).
    Yes, we are reasonably well paid and the holidays are pretty impressive but there seems to be a large number of people who think it is a profession inhabited by the lazy and work shy.

surfer
    Free Member

Yes, we are reasonably well paid and the holidays are pretty impressive but there seems to be a large number of people who think it is a profession inhabited by the lazy and work shy.

I have never said that and some of my best friends are teachers, however my point was about the inset days and I stand by that.
    Having said that seldom a week goes by without a thread about teachers complaining. I am not aware of another profession that spends so much time complaining about their career choice.
    We all hear about the long hours etc but in my own experience I dont see it.

uplink
    Free Member

Many are pulling out of the car park before the children have been collected!

I used to live opposite a school where the staff car park was over the road from the main building
    Just after 3:30 it was like the starting grid at Le Mans
    If they didn't trample you running for the car, they'd get you on the way out of the car park 😀

kevonakona
    Free Member

Your initial post does seem to infer a lack of willing to do new work and a need to leave the building ASAP. I for one have never complained about being a teacher in fact i love it. I do however get generally pissed off by those belittling my job. There is a broad brush approach. You do also seem to think that no marking is done at home.

I very much doubt that your teaching mates approach their jobs in the way you state. Oh and for your information the majority of secondry school inservice days in Scotland are done when the kids are on holiday.

surfer
    Free Member

Your initial post does seem to infer a lack of willing to do new work and a need to leave the building ASAP

No it doesnt!

You do also seem to think that no marking is done at home.

This is impossible to prove one way or the other. I just think its convenient. If i have a lot to do I work later in the office. When I see teachers leaving at 15:30 I assume they have finished for the day. Why take work home why not complete it in the school? I dont down tools at 15:30 and rush home with a folder of work, why would they?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Why take work home why not complete it in the school?

So that you don't get caught in the rush hour traffic? So that you don't get pestered by other members of staff? So that the cleaning staff can get on with their job without having to work around the teachers?

There's three reasons right there.

kevonakona
    Free Member

As regard the lessons planning we used to joke about the same projects being set year in year out it must have been boring seeing the same questions and the same answers, little repeat planning, more set it once then forget it for 5 years!

Ahem

They are not weighed down with files either, funnily enough!

surfer
    Free Member

So that you don't get caught in the rush hour traffic? So that you don't get pestered by other members of staff? So that the cleaning staff can get on with their job without having to work around the teachers?

All these pesky demands that people in other professions see as part and parcel of daily life really.

surfer
    Free Member

Kevonakona that is not my first post!
    Please pay attention at the back.

B-

gonefishin
    Free Member

All these pesky demands that people in other professions see as part and parcel of daily life really.

and would avoid were it possible.

surfer
    Free Member

and would avoid were it possible.

Of course, however other professions dont have the option of avoiding colleagues (in case they ask us something!) most see that as part of the job and as a manager dealing with queries from members of my team is part and parcel of the role.
    If you can avoid it fine. Ditto leaving early to avoid the traffic.
    However it doesnt strengthen your case when the next inevitable "teachers working really hard" thread appears, or the typical "don't go into teaching cos its really crap" thread rears its head.

gonefishin
    Free Member

So let me get this straight, you think that teachers should suffer all the inconveniences that you suffer in your job for no reason reason other than if it's something that you suffer then so should they? Sounds like petty jealously to me.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you conceded yet that other professions do indeed do training in their own time?

surfer
    Free Member

No the issue is you see that "So that you don't get pestered by other members of staff?" as an inconvenience that should be avoided. I see that as part of the role.

oh, and which course require teachers to have 2 degrees??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Inset Day tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.