Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Innis and Gunn original…..perfection in a bottle
  • RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Just discovered this brew and can’t believe I’ve wasted so much money on other shite when this was available.

matt_outandabout

It is good. Very good.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Just bought 2 660ml bottles and must say I am very impressed.

swavis

Mmm, very tasty but not quite as good as Windswept’s Tornado

teadrinker
    Free Member

Is that the red label one, very nice indeed it is. I quite like the blue labelled one too. I think that’s a lighter one but still just as good i you haven’t given that a go.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Yes the red label one. I’ve not seen the other one it might not have made its way to Wales yet. I’ve not seen any Windswept brews either so will have to keep my eyes peeled. Looks like I need to get aquaintated with scotlands breweries.

andyl
    Free Member

Discovered it when up at a conference in Edinburgh. Needless to say I and my fellow post grads drunk copious amounts 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

‘orrible sickly sweet stuff IMO.

Garry_Lager

allthepies – Member

‘orrible sickly sweet stuff IMO. QFT, not my style at all. Pretty distinctive, though, so more power to them.

augustuswindsock

Aldi do it for £1.40 a bottle iirc!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Our local offie was doing 2 660ml bottles for £5 I don’t think I could drink a lot of it but at 6.6% you wouldn’t want to 😯

rkearsey
    Free Member

I went to a tasting session at the brewery in Edinburgh, was amazing! You should try the Irish rum stuff aswell, absolutely beautiful!

jeffl

Tried this after a review in Singletrack mag many years ago. Couldn’t drink more than one bottle in a sitting but very tasty.

d45yth
    Free Member

As above, Aldi sell a range of I&G beers for £1.25. I wonder if the recommendation is the one I didn’t care for, can’t remember what it was called but it was 6.6%. It’s the toasted oak IPA that I’ve been clearing the shelves of!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I had a very bad experience with a bottle of I&G which I drank with some Italian take out. Got a spectacular bout of food poisoning – no fault of the brew, but now the very thought of that taste on the way back up makes it unlikely I’ll drink it again for a very long time!

slimporcini
    Free Member

That is a shame Ditch as it’s a lovely beer. There is a place in town (Manchester) that do it on tap, the Whiskey Jar in the Northern Quarter. £6 a pint but at that strength you don’t need many!

wallop

Bit too sweet for me.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan, I didn’t really like it when they first brought it out 10 years or so ago. That said, it is a nice beer.

Interestingly, Innis & Gunn are not a brewery. They just pay someone else to brew them some beer (belhaven) and then stick it in casks, before getting someone else to bottle it. Business model must be working, I think they’re doing quite well.

kcal

spin off of the Caley brewery folk weren’t they?

Review by macpuppy Blance IIRC..

lunge

Try the rum aged stuff as well, like the original but, in my opinion at least, better.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was introduced to Innis & Gunn by our very own tattooed hoodlum, tazzy. I’ll never forget that day I got lost in his eyes at Strensham Services on the M5, as we did the deal on some gucci Jones noodle-forks and he buttered me up with a bottle of I&G Rum cask. I fell in love with three things that day…..
    *is wistful*

teacake
    Free Member

I don’t have any strong opinion on it either way. It is different from most other beer in a bar at least.

The interesting part is how it’s packaged and sold. Frequent mention of oak flavours and pictures of oak casks in the advertising. Yet it’s not cask matured but held in a gurt big stainless tank with chopped up bits of oak to infuse the flavour. I expect the colour is also due to addition of e150a. It’s made by Tennent’s in Glasgow.

Just saying, not all is as it seems. 😉
    Not sure you can compare Tornado with Innis&Gunn.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I might be mistaken but it was never originally meant to be drunk, only used to flavour casks for whisky. Someone tried it and thought that it was quite good so they started bottling and selling it.

Caley brewery folk weren’t they?

I think it was the son of the founder who set it up?

Yet it’s not cask matured but held in a gurt big stainless tank with chopped up bits of oak to infuse the flavour.

Is it not put in the cask for a week or so before being put in the tanks? I might be wrong on that though.

Nice beer either way, not my usual tipple but nice for a change.

teacake
    Free Member

The only evidence I have that it’s not matured in cask is the lack of a “cask matured” statement on the packaging. I know marketing people and they wouldn’t miss an opportunity like that. The casks on the bottle suggest it but I doubt legally they can say it.

Just did a little Google and it turns out they use an “Oakerator (TM)”. The marketers have named the stainless tank. Good job.

johnnystorm

Amazing marketing 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The rum one is my favourite, despite the interesting stuff about the marketing and brewing.

dragon
    Free Member

Not a huge fan to be honest, much prefer something like Deuchers IPA. Interesting that it’s mostly brewed at the Tennent’s although sometimes Belhaven or Marston’s depending on the brew.

Allegedly they invented the Oakerator due to a shortage of Grants whisky casks.

zilog6128

The interesting part is how it’s packaged and sold. Frequent mention of oak flavours and pictures of oak casks in the advertising. Yet it’s not cask matured but held in a gurt big stainless tank with chopped up bits of oak to infuse the flavour. I expect the colour is also due to addition of e150a. It’s made by Tennent’s in Glasgow.

Always a shame when a craft brewery gets popular and loses what made it special in the first place. At 900,000 litres sold per year in the US alone, it sounds like the ship sailed on this one a long time ago! Never tried it but I think I’ll give this one a miss.

peterfile
    Free Member

Always a shame when a craft brewery gets popular and loses what made it special in the first place. At 900,000 litres sold per year in the US alone, it sounds like the ship sailed on this one a long time ago!

They were never a brewery.

They pay a large brewery to brew and bottle their beer, always have.

“Innis & Gunn” is a very successful marketing idea.

zilog6128

Fair enough. Always been mass-produced shite then? 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s actually got a relatively interesting history (from a business perspective anyway)

Linky

kcal

I think that’s right about the cask origins at least, they were paid to put some beer in whisky casks (Grants, as above) for some Grants experiment in beer-matured casks.

A happy coincidence, sounds like the ethos has long since mutated. Good on them though.

I think I tried the Grants whisky as mentioned; it wasn’t that good (though not as foul as Loch Dhu… look it up).

edhornby

Allegedly they invented the Oakerator due to a shortage of Grants whisky casks.

I don’t know about the specifics of their process but I know that a lot of the wine that comes out of California and Australia use this process for oaking wine and have been doing for a good decade or so

MoreCashThanDash

I like the taste.

Really not going to get sniffy about the process or business model.

(Other beers are available and I like a lot of them as well)

swavis

Not sure you can compare Tornado with Innis&Gunn.

As they’re both beers I think you can.

They’re both inferior to DNSB though of course 😉

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I never claimed it was brewed by artisans or that the hops were picked by Celtic maidens, just that for me it’s a nice drink. I realise some people won’t drink anything that’s brewed in quantities larger than a few gallon but I’m just not that fussy.

zilog6128

Downgraded from “perfection in a bottle” to “nice drink” in only 1 page. That is some serious back peddling 😉

teacake
    Free Member

Air Hare Lair Swavis! DNSB does it for me.

peterfile
    Free Member

I never claimed it was brewed by artisans or that the hops were picked by Celtic maidens, just that for me it’s a nice drink. I realise some people won’t drink anything that’s brewed in quantities larger than a few gallon but I’m just not that fussy.

Settle down. If you reread the posts you’ll notice that none of them are in any way derogatory or critical of I&G’s marketing strategy, just simply passing comment that the beer comes from a different place and is produced in a different way than most people think. That’s good marketing.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Not back peddling at all pal. For me its as good as it gets but as I said I obviously don’t have the sophisticated tastes possessed by your good self. Up until recently I drank to get drunk. Very drunk indeed and taste was not usually a consideration. I bow down to your superior knowledge on these matters. Oh I almost forgot 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Innis and Gunn original…..perfection in a bottle’ is closed to new replies.