Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inner tubes on XC alps trip
  • sambuka
    Free Member

I have a set of Maxxis Minion Exo tyres, currently running these with standard inner tubes, but heading out on a big XC ride in the Alps with lots of DH. Would you change these for downhill inner tubes, or will these make the bike feel hard work on the uphills? Or is the weight difference negligible?

thanks

Please notify me of useful responses

jedi

use normal tubes and bang up the tyres, thts what we used to do before i went tubeless 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve always used standard tubes. Just take a few out with you and make sure your group has quite a few between you.

Del

change ’em now or on an alpine hillside, maybe, maybe not, but if so with a better view? take spares, don’t worry. maxxis do some ‘mid-weight’ tubes that i use in the rear on my HT. they’re a bit pricey but they’re good.

sambuka
    Free Member

thanks – what does ‘bang up the tyres’ mean Jedi?

Northwind

Dh tubes in standard tyres aren’t massively tougher than normal tubes ime, still puncture if you hit ’em hard enough. The difference to the ride isn’t massive though unless you go with something crazy like one of those maxxis freeride tubes that comes in a shoebox

Depends what you have now really.

Speeder

Mo pressure I’d imagine either that or go to a DH casing. – you won’t notice the weight so much with the chair lifts.

I used to happily run standard tubes in Maxxis DH casings and only ever got 1 puncture per holiday at most and that was riding DH tracks with 25ish psi front and rear. I’ve had a similar no of punctures with tubeless too so no real disadvantage and the tubes were easier to change/patch up.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Alps last year, I changed my rear tyre for a dual ply minion and ran a minion exo up front with standard tubes. no punctures.

Figured the back wheel would be taking most of the punishment, due to my…er..weight, so only bothered beefing that up.

I wouldn’t be too concerned. Take plenty of tubes and use your normal tyres/tubes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not pressure but got for DH casings.

Std tubes in DH casings is better than DH tubes in Trail tyres – replacing DH tubes gets expensive. Why not go tubeless on DH tyres?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Dual ply I would think.

jedi

Pump em up Ard 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inner tubes on XC alps trip’ is closed to new replies.