Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Injury recovery time
  • badadvert
    Free Member

Hi people, currently laid-up in hospital after breaking my tibula and fibula in a mtb accident yesterday, have been in theater and now got some rods, screws, plate etc and gonna be out-of-action for sometime me thinks 🙁

anyone had a similar injury?
    what was your recovery time to get back onto bike?
    and any tips for speeding it up?

Get out and enjoy yourselves cos when you cant, you’ll miss it like a bitch…

cheers…

jes
    Free Member

Sounds bad, a few months I would have thought.

Healing vibes dude

Junkyard
    Free Member

how old are you …much longer as you age

badadvert
    Free Member

i’m 33 so hoping i’m young enough for a quick recovery. yeah, it’s pretty bad, had metal rods, plate, screws etc, fitted earlier and guessing it’ll be 5-6 months till i’m back in the sadle 🙁

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’ve had several times outs lasting months over the years. Firstly, accept the fact you’ll be out of action for a while. Then focus your efforts on building yourself back up, aiming to be even stronger than before. It’s a great opportunity to work on areas that have been negelcted and fine tune a few things,, in my case muscle imbalance, diet, & flexibility . A good Physio is a great help, physically and mentally.

Good luck.

wwaswas

When I broke my hip was about 3 months before I was fully weight bearing on that leg and maybe 5 before riding on the road.

Main thing is to do all the stretches/physio you can do you regain movement. It tends to be the muscle damage that causes problems, not bone.

Also ask if there’s a plan to remove the metalwork later on. I’m glad I had the bolts holding my leg on removed but others have left stuff in with no problems.

SD-253
    Free Member

Cycling is a zero impact exercise on the joints and bones in general (I am ignoring falling off). I would be inclined to get an exercise bike and get on it almost immediately the stitches are out. Physio would obviously be more knowledgeable. By zero impact I mean if I was to go walking for say 5 miles there is a good chance my knee would inflame but if I cycled for a 100miles there would be no chance of it swelling. Therefore bones will be under no excessive impact much less than the walking about you will do. Get the muscles working straight away.

badadvert
    Free Member

Cheers people, spoke to surgeon not long ago and he was optimistic which is good. i’ll be making sure to put the effort in with physio and any other excersise so there’ll be minimal time out the saddle! Dont like towish time away, but roll on the next 4/5 months!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Injury recovery time’ is closed to new replies.