Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Injury – complete rest or lower intensity?
  • adsh
    Free Member

I cramped badly a month ago and strained an inner thigh muscle (gracilis?). I’m stretching, massaging etc and have carried on riding and even raced. I’m OK providing I warm up very carefuly and don’t do sudden increases in tempo. Somehow I did the other day and it’s gone back to being worse.

I’ve not had physio this time around (moved so it’s too far away) but I can see my winter training being ruined if I can’t get sorted.

What’s best – some low intensity miles for a couple of weeks and gradual build back or a complete layoff and then gradual build back up (ie a month gone) 😥

Also why would my inner thigh muscles be working harder/more painful now when I’m fitter/stronger (but on the same bike/same position)

Kryton57

To answer your first question: I tore my gracilis when coming off an with a leg twisted after becoming stuck in the pedal, and it took about 16 weeks to heal, the latter 4 of those were very very low intensity.

Its a major support muscle helping the knee twisting motion, but is quite a delicate one – I’d let it heal first, then when the pain has gone, try to ride very very gentle as an assessment and go from there.

If you are cardio fitter, its possible you are mentally applying more effort through your legs but actually putting more strain on your muscles, but in reality its probably the cramp that damaged it.

I’m not medically qualified btw, just going on my own experience.

Baznav
    Free Member

I think the medical advice for muscle injury is use it as long as it don’t hurt, if it starts to hurt stop.

pipiom
    Free Member

Gentle stretch/excercise (to the pain not past) then ice…….and repeat until mended

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Injury – complete rest or lower intensity?’ is closed to new replies.