Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Initial stiction on 06 U turn revs (air) common?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

just fitted some of the above mentioned bought off here a while back . they look in great nick with apparently approx 1 yrs use previously but no service.
    Anyhow emptied the neg air then filled the +ve to rockshoxs recommendation for my weight.Brought the -ve up to the same and then checked the sag ……virtually no movement if just climbing aboard relatively gently. Dropped the pressures by 30 psi and yep ..a litle movement this time but still reluctant to budge past the initial stiction without rocking a bit ….and even then still not enough sag. last night stored the bike upside down then this morning thoroughly lubed the stanchions and wiper seals with a silicon spray.
    things are now a little better but still it seem that to get a decent amount of sag I’d need to drop to say 130 psi (and I’m 100kg +) that’s 45 psi under r’s reco’s + there is still a fair amount of stiction.
    yep I’ve got PP’s article and read the manual . My previous forks were MX comps (air) and they had far less stiction.
    Your advice /experience/thoughts please ………(maybe tight bushings or is it that they haven’t been used for a year and will once again take a few rides to loosen up?
    thanks in advance
    Bill

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t remember what PSIs I have in mine, but I do remember I had to use a little more neg than pos air pressure to get much action over even medium size bumps.

Haven’t touched them since as they were so lovely and smooth after a little while.

Olly
    Free Member

check youve not knocked the compression on?
    or check the rebound?

i run around 100psi i think, maybe even less (80psi), and im 72kg, the RS figures are WAY out in my opinion.

set up the +ive for the sag you want, then increase the negative to vary how active the forks is
    iirc, it shouldnt really be further than 10psi away from the +ive

have you tryed cycling the fork a few times (compressing it and extending it) with no pressure in it, possibly even upside down, to get the oils moving around the systems again…..

set it up so it works for you, and then adjust it if it loosens up over time, buy increasing pressure?

worst comes to worst, send them off to get them pushed….?

kaiser
    Free Member

Compression lever on minimum setting
    can’t see how rebound would affect initial stiction
    yes i’ve cycled the forks and fully deflated and re inflated.
    perhaps they’ll loosen up after a few rides.I’d increase the neg air further but then It’ll pull the fork down and I’ll lose some travel

retro83
    Free Member

empty neg, inflate pos, empty neg again, empty pos again, empty neg. Sometimes the pistons end up in the wrong position, this seems to reset them.

Open forks up, make sure there is enough (15ml) semi-bath lube and that the foams are saturated. You might also want to check the lube in the air chambers (think this is 2ml in pos+neg but double check in the service manual)

Inflate pos until you get roughly the right spring rate, then set neg to be pos + 5. Don’t worry about the rockshox figures for PSI. Don’t set neg before setting the pos.

AB
    Free Member

Is this a common fault/issue with this fork?

paulwf

I think the lower bushes are commonly quite tight. My fork is 3 years old and is still quite tight, so I am sending it off to TFTuned to have it serviced. As part of the service they resize the bushes as necessary. I only realised how bad mine was when I tried a friends. I went to change the oil thinking it was that, but when i put them back together I could feel how tight the lower bush was.

You can read about it on the tftuned website

AB
    Free Member

Paulxf – I’ve saw a brief reference about it on the TFT site. Is this what you are talking about?

The small-bump ride is very harsh from new. What could be the problem?

If you have a Dual Air or Air U-Turn fork, first ensure that the negative pressure is equal to, or up to 10psi more than, the positive pressure. If it’s still harsh, your fork lowers may have tight bushings. These will never free up during use and will need to be re-sized. During service, we always re-size bushings where necessary to get a smooth function. If your fork becomes harsh over time, there is probably dirt inside and time for a service.

chakaping
    Free Member

and I’ll lose some travel

A little bit, but it’s better than having none at all because they won’t compress!

paulwf

Yes that is what I am talking about. Mine feel completely different to a friends and have always been that way. I am hoping they will come back a lot better

kaiser
    Free Member

your fork lowers may have tight bushings. These will never free up during use and will need to be re-sized.

why do they never free up . bushes wear with use surely?

AB
    Free Member

This is a bit worrying. Am after a set of 07/08 Air Rev U-Turns, but obviously don’t want to buy a pair and then have to fork out more cash to send them off to TFT to have it fixed.

Is this common to all/many?

retro83
    Free Member

No not common IME, I’ve had a couple of pairs of Revs (08 and 09), a pair of Pikes and friends have Rebas, Recons, Pikes and older Revs etc after a month of use they’ve all been virtually stiction free (ie. undetectable in use).

The Pikes took longer to break in, but I assume this is because of the extra oil seal rather than the bushings being tight.

Kaiser, did you check the lube in the semibath + air chambers as I suggested and still have the issue?

kaiser
    Free Member

not yet retro
    tried the reset procedure to no avail
    for the time being i’ve just dropped the +ve pressure even further to get the required sag more easily and incresaed the -ve a tad (losing 3 mm of max travel. will report back re your suggestions when I have time !

retro83
    Free Member

will report back re your suggestions when I have time !

lol, sorry didn’t mean to nag 😆 just love fettling with suspension

AB
    Free Member

Kaiser – have been pouring over stuff on the web about this (obviously keen to inform any expensive decision/mistake I might make in buying a Rev fork) and came across a good link on mtbr – see here

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks for that AB ..interesting stuff!

Olly
    Free Member

i loose around 5mm of travel when mine are set up as i like them.
    i can live with it, they work brilliantly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Initial stiction on 06 U turn revs (air) common?’ is closed to new replies.