Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ingrowing toe nails…
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Ouch. Have one that seems to flare up a bit every few months. Never been particularly bad until today. Inside edge of big toe is very sore and red looking.

Best course of action?
    Phone for an ambulance? Go to gp? Coke and hookers?

Ticklinjock

Get a referral from your Doc to the local NHS podiatrist.
    They can do minor works on it in their clinic, like removing the side part of the nail bed, so that can’t happen.

JoeG
    Free Member

MTFU! 😡

ironnigel
    Free Member

Big hit of scotch.
    Get sharpest scissors.
    Cut into edge of toenail where pain occurs.
    Rip out the last bit that’s attached. (Pliers may be needed at this stage.)
    Get another big hit of scotch.

Make sure to take photos and post on STW.

garage-dweller

Ticklinjock +1

Or go private if you can afford it/can’t find an NHS one. A decent podiatrist may prevent you from needing proper nail surgery (the thing ticklin is describing). For a minor consult some trimmage, packing etc mine is about £40.

I have one nail where both sides have been trimmed down and phenolised at different times – expensive but put a stop to years of trouble.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That sounds like it would hurt!

thegreatape
    Free Member

DIY. I love stuff like this.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I had all mine removed by the NHS.

bearnecessities

Your toes?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Small Swiss army knife, grit your teeth and get stuck in. Or go to the professionals. Injection of painkiller on the top of your toe hurts almost as much as the DIY treatment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I had all mine removed by the NHS.

WTF? Were you damaging the furniture?

cheers_drive

I diy’d mine, much as ironnigel described, for a few years, before they got infected and I got refered to an NHS podiatrist. Expert treatment is much less painful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Podiatrist, I got mine sorted in 20mins which solved 3 weeks of pain.

kcr
    Free Member

Nuke them from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

…or go and see your GP.

bearnecessities

Well that’s my nightmares sorted.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I just got a tiny piece of cottonwool soaked in tcp and poked it under the nail twice a day. 3 days later, problem solved.

Harry_the_Spider

Get yourself booked in with a podiatrist.

£25
    Pain gone

The anaesthetic needle hurt like an absolute mutha hubbard though.

Xylene
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

jools182
    Free Member

Anesthetic didn’t take when I had mine done

The pain was horrendous

Don’t leave it until they get infected like I did

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You need robo toenail fixer device.

[video]http://youtu.be/zMimzXSDues[/video]

birky
    Free Member

Had mine removed in my teens on the NHS but nail beds weren’t removed so now they grow back at a jaunty angle 😕

The anaesthetic needle hurt like an absolute mutha hubbard though

Yup 😥

dazh

When I was 13 I had an ingrowing toenail removed. The anaesthetic needle was the worst bit. I screamed like I”ve never screamed before and my dad had to hold me down. I’m pretty sure administering the anaesthetic hurt as much as pulling the toenail out would have. This was closely followed by a community nurse coming round and ripping off the gauze that had welded itself to my toe where the nail used to be. That was the second biggest scream I’ve ever done. If you’re not squeamish, go down the DIY route, at least you can stop when the pain is too much.

turboferret

Assemble your tools and get busy 🙂

I find that after nails grow back then they sometimes need a bit of training to go in the right direction. Getting in with something pokey and digging around normally helps.

Cheers, Rich

dazh

Assemble your tools and get busy

I don’t know why but I haven’t laughed so much at a web page in a long while 🙂

theotherjonv

I had my recurring ingrowing big toenail done on my employer’s private scheme. I was booked in the for the local option at the BUPA hospital but the podiatrist persuaded me that as it was all paid for anyway i should have a general.

General for a toenail seems overkill, but I’ve heard enough on here and previously to think that i made a sound call.

Whatever the option – get it done. Great decision to do it after years of home surgery; fixed it overnight.

Cougar

I had one as a kid which I DIY’ed, repeatedly teased the corner out of the flesh with a knife till it got the message. Not sure as I’d recommend it though.

They are quite uniquely painful. Big lummox of a lad at school accidentally trod on it heavily once, I thought I was going to pass out.

chip
    Free Member

My ex brother in laws brother died of an ingrowing toe nail.
    Caused some sort of infection which was left untreated untill he collapsed, by which time it was too late and he died.

Rip Martin.

theotherjonv

RIP Martin

Still preferable to turboferret’s option though, having just revisited that thread…..

(Just joking. Sorry if that offends, don’t mean to)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ingrowing toe nails…’ is closed to new replies.