Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • chewkw
    Free Member

By comparison to his other movies Inglorious Bastards is way below par.

I would give it 4.5 or 5 max out of 10 if the weather is good and not more.

I like his movies as they were fun but this time I think his head is getting bigger like he now thinks he is going to be Bono of the film world. He is well behind Akira Kurosawa.

The first half of the movie was alright but very slow and the second half was shite.

What I do not like about the second half of the movie was where Hitler and gangs were killed (bombed) in a theater. The thing is that the historical facts have all been well established of his death and this can never changed it, no matter how funny or unrealistic the movie can be. If it says alternate reality yes but he has not or perhaps a scene from an unknown event in WWII.

Also limited good fight scenes.

Overall, do not waste your 2 hour plus life away.

Poor effort Tarantino and I want my money back.

👿

GrahamS

The thing is that the historical facts have all been well established of his death

I think you are confusing "fictional story" with "documentary".

You may also be surprised to learn that John Rambo did not defeat the entire Russian army singlehanded, ex-Colonel John Matrix did not wipe out an non-descript South American army and Biggles did not win World War II by destroying the German super-weapon. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

Graham S,

I know it's fictional at least the rest of shite film like Rambo II to future Rambo 5000 did not show they destroy the entire Russian army but only some of it etc.

This one is fictional but this time it even makes Hammer Horror probable and accurate.

😡

GrahamS

So I'm guessing that if I said to you that it was an allegorical response to the judeophobic view of the film industry, you would just give me a blank look?

ourmaninthenorth

So, as an update to my earlier post, I have now see the film.

Sadly, it was worse than I had expected. Completely vacuous and utterly incoherent, held together only by the sort of plot cooked up by a couple of stoner teenagers.

Just because Tartantino has watched a lot of films, and tries to reference all of them at once, doens't make this good art. Or even, I found, good entertainment.

ourmaninthenorth

So I'm guessing that if I said to you that it was an allegorical response to the judeophobic view of the film industry, you would just give me a blank look?

I would. I can think of few industries more Jewish.

chewkw
    Free Member

The question should not be so complicated (my head hurts 🙂 ) as I have no interest in how his film response to the film industry. I just want to watch good movie even if it means old story line.

🙁

noteeth
    Free Member

Not going to watch it.

Besides, how could it ever top Where Eagles Dare?

soma_rich
    Free Member

He spent all his time on the characters and no time on the plot. Was watchable but by no means a good Tarantino film. I was dissapointed.

GrahamS

I would. I can think of few industries more Jewish.

Exactly and if you want to talk about "Jews controlling the film industry" then you don't exactly have to be Mark Kermode to see the symbolism here:

–SPOILERZ–
    Here is a film that not only completely re-writes history by having Jews kill Hitler and end the war, but it climaxes with the entire Nazi high command being literally killed by film, in a cinema, while a giant Jewish face laughs at them from the projector.
    Basically the end is a huge "**** you" to that whole question.
    –SPOILERZ END–

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I would consider myself a fan of Tarantinos films. I loved Resevoir dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. I thought Kill Bill was much less than the sum of its parts but enjoyable nonetheless. I loved Death Proof/Grindhouse/Planet Terror.

But Inglourious Basterds is a train wreck of a movie. It is total self indulgent **** which lost it's way somewhere in development hell five years ago. If you've never seen Dirty Dozen, Cross of Iron, Where Eagles Dare, Kellys Heros etc etc etc…or if you've all but forgotten them this might be a fun diversion but really it is tripe.

GrahamS

Isn't the point that it directly references films like Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes and Where Eagles Dare with a typically Tarantino knowing wink?

Ah whatever… I enjoyed it anyway. 😀

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

GrahamS

Isn't the point that it directly references films like Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes and Where Eagles Dare in a typically Tarantino knowing wink?

I suspect that was the point initially. That idea has certainly been used heavily to promote the film but does that actually come across in film? Does it ****.

GrahamS

Meh, I thought it did that fairly effectively actually.

Main title in hackneyed war movie font? check.
    Opening scene of rolling Stella Artois scenery and peaceful mountain life? check.
    Immediately establishing the main villian? check
    Making the foreigners speak English? check.
    Rogue squad operating outside normal warfare? check
    Over the top, stiff upper lippedness from the brit? check
    Being caught out trying to speak German? check
    Cameo from Churchill? check
    Improbable plan to kill the Germans? check
    Questionable morals of main heroes? check

..and numerous other little points that I have probably since forgotten but worked well at the time.

EvoStick
    Free Member

Think its nice to see all the in-jokes and film references – but the smug feeling of getting them doesn't make up for the the fact that Tarantino enjoyed making this film more than anybody else will watching it.

It just gets a bit indulgent after a while and drains the life out of you.

kimbers

oh come on cewkw the ending was good, i for one sat thre thinking how is he gonna make it so that the war ends as we know it did

good way to keep the ending a surprise and all worth it for that french birds face in the smoke too!

7.5 out of 10 here

eth3er
    Free Member

There are people who discount films based on who makes them or who's in them(fair enough but a bit closed minded). If you go in wanting to hate the thing, you'll hate it just to be right.
    Tarantino just happens to have made 6 very different, good, fun films. I've enjoyed them all, Jackie Brown being my favourite.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Inglorious Basterds’ is closed to new replies.