Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Inflatable mattress (double camping)
  • onehundredthidiot

Looking for an inflatable double mattress for comfort when camping out of the car on sites. Just one that doesn’t leak air to “bum on the ground” flatness overnight.
    Just binned a Camping Gaz on that did this from day 1, it was a replacement for one that did the same.
    Any suggestions?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have one with real hair and a shocked look I use when camping alone

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Get a self inflating sleeping mat instead. Inflatable mattresses/airbeds are crap for camping. Cold, damp and leaky.

We have Alpkit Dozers, best camping purchase we have made in ages.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you want an airbed style effort (rather than a camping travel style), the absolute best in class are Aerobeds, IME. The indoors one is amazing, much more comfortable than many real mattresses. I assume their outdoorsy one is just as awesome.

End of thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t bother. They are bouncy as hell and sweaty along with it.

One or two thick self-inflating foam mattresses will be far more comfortable, from experience.

sadexpunk

yup, self inflating mats for the win.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We’ve got Eurohike ones (yes, yes, I know), but neither of them leak. I seem to recall one got a hole in, but they came with repair patches and glue.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Seriously, anyone who thinks airbeds are always rubbish has to try an Aerobed. They are the oarzum.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

We have an Aerobed. I wouldn’t take it camping.

WillH

We used to use a double air mattress, but found that when one person rolls over without ridiculous amounts of care, the other one gets ‘trampolined’ a bit – neither of us are fatties, it’s just the poor design of the mattresses. So we got two singles and put them side by side with a double fitted sheet over them – much improved. But I still find them to be cold – even if my upper side is toasty under the duvet (proper namby-pamby glampers, us!) the side against the mattress was always cold.

So now the mrs has her single air mattress, while I use her Exped down-filled 3/4 length mattress over a foam mat. Toasty as. So I guess I’d recommend a couple of Expeds rather than a double airbed, although they aren’t cheap. Budget option would be to get about three cheap foam mats stacked on top of each other. Warmth and comfort, and if you’re camping out of the car the space shouldn’t be a problem (fold them in half and pack them flat on the boot floor for best packing/space efficiency.

theflatboy
    Free Member

torsoinalake – Member

We have an Aerobed. I wouldn’t take it camping.

That one ^^^’s an Aerobed specially for outdoor use! (I wouldn’t take one anywhere I had to carry it, but that’s not what’s being asked.)

nealy
    Free Member

I just got one from Tesco for £10 and a mains/car ciggie lighter pump for £7

CBA spending loads for something that does the same job

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have enough space, a slab of upholstery foam, from somewhere like Dunelm Mill, is fantastically comfortable. Doesn’t roll up very well though.

The double version of this was by far the most comfortable thing I’ve slept on, the foam is really dense, but I’ve no idea if any of the UK ones are similar.

DaveRambo

We have an Aerobed that we use at home. It has a built in pump and is OK.

Last year I bought an outwell inflatable one and it’s rather good – much better than the Aerobed.
    I bought a 12V pump as it’s got a large volume so it gets plugged into the car for 1 min then it’s up.

Quite tall, very comfy and the non slip top means you don’t slide all over the place.

Not the cheapest but Mrs R likes it and she is the first to complain when not being comfortable when camping.

dknwhy

We go camping a lot for weeks on end and ditched airbeds early on. In terms of comfort and insulation for car camping, i’d always opt with a self inflating mat.
    We’ve got alpkit (old style fat aerics now updated as Dozers) and also a couple of 10cm thick Gelert Adventure XLs.
    Much better than airbeds.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Been through various inflatables from Coleman, Camping Gaz, Eurohike etc and now much happier on Alpkit self inflating maps. More comfortable, much warmer and more compact if you take into account all the extra insulation you have to use on the inflatables. We went for wideboys but if you want ultimate comfort at the expense of weight, size and cost then go for the Dozer, or if funds allow the equivalent Thermarest.

Have an aerobed at home, think it’s massively overrated – much preferred our old (camping) Coleman inflatable (the best inflatable we had by a mile) to our (dometic) Aerobed.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sheepskins FTW

onehundredthidiot

Strictly summer use in the south of france. Have albeit and thermarest for other duties.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m sticking with self-inflating.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable mattress (double camping)’ is closed to new replies.