Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Inflatable kayaks – anyone know much about them?
  • stevemorg2

We've got a couple of sit on top kayaks – a Big Yak and a Robson which have been great but I can't see anyway that I can carry any more and both kids now want their own.

At a local outdoor shop (investgating a trailer to carry the sit ons) I saw some inflatable kayaks – not the normal crap sold at beach shops but one that looked pretty good,

If I sell my two sit ons I can probably buy three inflatables – they'll fit in the van and will be a lot easier to store.

Anyone used them and have an opinion? – I would ask on a canoe forum but hey were bad enough when I asked about sit on tops!

I just want them for playing around by the beach, close to shore trips and easy river paddling

monkeychild
    Free Member

My Wife's Uncle has one and it's ace!! He is into kayaking and has the inflatable one for sporadic moments. I have been in it and it was great fun.

tomhughes46

I have a crap one, it's brilliant fun but does suffer quite a bit from a lack of momentum, and is more affected by the wind than a real boat. It is pretty stiff, considering it is inflatable.

Better ones may not suffer from this though but I can't comment.

molgrips
    Free Member

So you want to carry more gear with you?

What about an actual canoe rather than kayak?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I took a Sevylar (sp?) down a G1/2 section of the Rogue River and it coped admirably. Scraped through some shallows, felt the stones through the bottom, but no damage to the canoe (not kayak). Overall seemed stable, easy and confidence inspiring.

stevemorg2

I don't want to carry more gear with me – I can't easily carry a third kayak on my camper!

coffeeking
    Free Member

They're about 200 quid a pop, how pricey are your sit-ons?!

mugsys_m8

Used inflatle Sevvy's in the Ace Race Series. My dislike of them was part of the reason I decided to stop doing the ace races.

OCB
    Free Member

Have a look over on SOTP.
    We have quite a few people using 'pump hulls', and pretty successfully too.

NZCol

I'm intimate with those fckn Saveloys as well from racing. Tragically they are quite fun in whitewater, open water + wind == pain. Would be alright to potter around in and pack up small/easy to inflate etc.

aracer
    Free Member

If you're happy with SOTs, then you'll find high quality inflatables (ie Sevvy etc.) fine too. Personally I hate both, for similar reasons to mugsy – though admittedly the SOTs they switched to with ACE races were marginally better.

As molgrips suggests, inflatable canoes are actually a better idea – they aren't actually significantly worse to paddle than proper hard hulled canoes IME.

epicyclo

SOTs in this country are really unattractive bathtubs IMO.

I'm used to the fast and nimble waveskis we get in Oz and compared to those the modern kayak is a penny farthing.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but you'd not describe a waveski as a SOT would you, epicyclo? No more than you'd describe a surfski (something I'm probably just about to buy) as a SOT.

For the uninitiated there is a significant difference between a waveski and a surfski!

Stoner
    Free Member

I saw some good ones in Decathlon on the continent. If the market for them is bigger over there you may get more boat for your buck…

epicyclo

aracer – Member
    Yeah, but you'd not describe a waveski as a SOT would you, epicyclo? etc….

Bit out of touch with the terminology now. 30 odd years ago we called them all surfskis (mine was a Hadyn Kenny if that means anything to you and about 20') and I did quite a lot of long sea voyages on it. I also had some KWs which were shorter and broader (abt 12'). Last time I was in Oz I was told the really short ones were surfskis now and the long ones wave skis. Quite happy to be corrected on this.

Does anyone in UK sell Oz style long surfskis?

aracer
    Free Member

Does anyone in UK sell Oz style long surfskis?

Yes, several sources – it's just taking off here.
    http://wellsimple.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=33:uk-suppliers&Itemid=23

Current terminology long ones are surfskis, short ones waveskis (has been that way as long as I've known about such things, which goes back almost 20 years). I presume you're too out of touch to help me with my purchasing decision?

epicyclo

aracer – Member
    …I presume you're too out of touch to help me with my purchasing decision?

Afraid so. Long time since I paddled an inflatable. For the record it was difficult to control in a crosswind in surf.

Thanks for the link. It's one of my targets for this year – get back in the water. No big bities to worry about here.

aracer
    Free Member

Afraid so. Long time since I paddled an inflatable.

You're confusing me with the OP – I'm looking at buying a surfski (a fast relatively tippy one).

NZCol

aracer – what you buying ? I'm paddling a Think Evo just now, also use an Epic V10l a bit as well. Previous was a Fenn Mako6. Loving it, use my ski more than any other boat now. Doubles are great fun too.

swiss01
    Free Member

i've got an advanced frame expedition. it's great, carries enough gear to camp with, is plenty stable for inshore and generally a good laugh. i pack it away in the van if i'm fancying a paddle. i'd recommend it.

i got it cheaper from the states, even with the tax.

aracer
    Free Member

I'd like to get a Think Uno if one was easy to get hold of (that or maybe one of the new Scandanavian boats which appear to be quick). Would have to go through all the hassle of importing for one of those I think, so currently choosing between V12, Mako Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, and maybe the new Nelo, all of which are (or will be) available in the UK. The trouble is they're expensive and I'd probably still mostly use my K1 given how far I live from the sea.

rodney
    Free Member

I've used my Sevylor Colorado on the coast around Cornwall and on the Tarn and Ardeche in France (among others). No complaints at all and very stable in the rapid sections- I'd reccomend it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable kayaks – anyone know much about them?’ is closed to new replies.