Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inflatable Canoes
  • mjb

Now that the kids are getting a bit older and we’ve got a bit more space in the car without all the baby paraphernalia we were thinking about getting an inflatable canoe to take with us on the odd trip away. Only thing is they’ll be 4 of us and the only canoes i can find are 3 person ones. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get one with 4 seats or could we just take the middle seat out and let them sit/kneel on the floor of the boat?

Also any wise words/tips for canoeing with small kids?

RoterStern
    Free Member

We’ve got one from Decathlon which is also a three seater but our smallest just sits up the front with one of his siblings. I wouldn’t want to do it for a whole day trip but for an hour or two is ok. TBH I wouldn’t want to do a day trip in an inflatable canoe (at least the one we have) as it doesn’t exactly glide through the water. linky

julians
    Free Member

We have a sevylor adventure 2 man inflatable canoe,but we fit 3 of us in it (2 adults and a 6 year old), so i dont see why you couldnt fit 4 in a 3 man canoe.

I wouldnt want to try and paddle a huge distance in one though,they are a bit draggy

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

There are 3 main types:

Cheap (£40) look-like-a-canoe-but-made-like-a-cheap-pvc-dingy things – Advantage = cheap, disadvantage = flimsy, delicate

Fabric (cordura type) covered bladder construction like most Sevylors and the Decathlon Itwit things – Advantage = tougher, stiffer, individual bladders can be replaced if damaged (if you can find the spares), disadvantage = the fabric element is stitched, meaning eventually you are sitting in pool of water, and the fabric can be difficult and time-consuming to fully dry – mildew probable.

Hypalon/Reinforced pvc construction. Think of the material a decent WW raft is made of. Advantages = tough, with welded seams, hopefully water won’t be guaranteed to enter. Can be inflated pretty rigid. Easier to dry (can wipe dry with a towel) Disadvantages = cost, heavy, if punctured/damaged a thorough repair will be needed.

We have 2 16 foot polythene open canoes and regularly take out our 3 and 6 year olds on loch, river and overnight camping trips. Get lifejackets. Wrap up warm, take spare clothing. Wee feet get cold, which means it’s time to get out and have run about.

We recently bought a 2nd hand reinforced PVC thing off Gumtree to take on holiday in the summer to avoid lugging 16′ Open boats about.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Get two inflatable paddle boards instead….
    Inflatable kayaks are notoriously rubbish.

neilc1881
    Free Member

We’ve got a Sevylor 3-seater and I think it’s great. Get a skeg and it goes in a straightish line a lot easier. We (10, 5, 2 and 1 adult) all fit. I find the seats useless anyway so take them all out.
    We’ve used it on canals, quiet rivers, lakes and even surfed it which was a lot of fun (with an adult and 2x 10 year olds).
    It’s not as good as a rigid boat, but for a family the advantages outweigh the disadvantages – it’s easy to carry to the beach in it’s backpack and still have enough hands for all the other beach stuff. Saves multiple trips back and forth to the car.
    If you are short they can be a bit of a hassle to paddle as the sides are quite high and wide.

iain1775
    Free Member

I got an Intex Explorer K2 on a whim when they where about £65 on Amazon last year
    Great little thing, seems plenty sturdy, easy to inflate and tracks straight thanks to the skeg
    We would,get away with 2 adults and my 7 year old in it (it’s a 2 man) but for canal trips just me with the daughter and light river work (River Trent near us) it’s great,she loves it. Picked up a cheap life jacket from Decathalon for her and I just put one oar together without the middle bit for her so it’s easier to handle
    She is a very good swimmer btw (the wife is a kids swimming teacher) so I don’t have too many concerns with her around the canal
    Not sure if Intex do a 3/4 man but would recommend the brand as a cheaper alternative to Sevylor etc

petec
    Free Member

We got two of those explorer k2 inflatables. Quickly had to replace one due to puncture. Then replaced another due to split.

Then gave one to the school fete as a silent auction prize and bought three sit on tops instead.

Inflatables canoes are rubbish

nickjb
    Free Member

Our sevylor has been great. Really well made. nice enough to paddle if you get the pressure right. Not sure I’d fancy it 4 up. We occasionally take extra passengers and its fine for mucking about but does impact on the handling. I think I’d lean towards two smaller canoes

Caher

So can you just chuck a canoe/kayak in a canal and just paddling, or us there some license required?

iain1775
    Free Member

Strictly speaking unless you are a member of British Canoeing (£45 per year) then you need a license from The Canals and Rivers Trust- £4.85 for a day license – https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/choosing-and-buying-your-licence/short-term-visitor-licences
    and some insurance, my house insurance would cover it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable Canoes’ is closed to new replies.