Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Inexplicably cheap things
  • Houns

Tree surgeon who quoted to take down a massive Sycamore tree with 7 main ‘trunks’. A full days job for at least 2.

£300. Hand ripped right off (and they’re not even taking the wood away to sell!)

maccruiskeen

Hand ripped right off

Should have worn proper PPE

Houns

He tee’s it up ……

alexxx
    Free Member

Did it actually take him a day though? We got a guy in to remove a massive tree too it sounded quite reasonable I thought for the work I envisaged… turns out they were packed up after an hour and job was done!

Very impressive

Houns

Not done yet. But those with more experience/knowledge than me in such things (and know the tree) reckon it should be at least double that amount

P-Jay
    Free Member

Petrol, £1.10 a litre give or take.

Sucked out of the ground, shipped half way around the world, refined and messed about with, gets 60p a litre duty slapped on it, shipped around the country gets 20% of the final cost slapped on as VAT, sold via it’s own large scale retail centre out of fancy pumps – still costs 2 and a half times less per litre than Starbucks charge for bottled water.

allan23
    Free Member

Tree surgeon who quoted to take down a massive Sycamore tree with 7 main ‘trunks’. A full days job for at least 2.

£300. Hand ripped right off (and they’re not even taking the wood away to sell!)

Where, who, near York?

Neighbour and me had quotes into 4 figures by local tree surgeon types.

Houns

West Midlands, sorry

Junkyard
    Free Member

We got a guy in to remove a massive tree too it sounded quite reasonable I thought for the work I envisaged… turns out they were packed up after an hour and job was done!

Mate is a tree surgeon he says you are paying me for my skill, my equipment, the insurance cover and the risk.
    His fixed costs are a few k per month.

He also says with very cheap quotes to ask to see their insurance as its cheap as if you dont go above a certain height and to check insurance.

maccruiskeen

Sucked out of the ground, shipped half way around the world, refined and messed about with, gets 60p a litre duty slapped on it, shipped around the country gets 20% of the final cost slapped on as VAT, sold via it’s own large scale retail centre out of fancy pumps – still costs 2 and a half times less per litre than Starbucks charge for bottled water. not much more than supermarkets charge for milk with no duty or VAT – which they buy direction from the producer (having cut out the distributor), at less than the cost of production from farmers who are subsidised to produce it

Houns

It’s for work for the National Trust, everything will be in order

bikebouy
    Free Member

The
    SIL.

Drac

Chips.

scaredypants

bikebouy – Member
    The
    SIL

Well, somebody else is paying the overheads, innit
    We all think the same about

your
    Mrs.

😉

firestarter
    Free Member

The aldi 1000 lumen bike light I recently bought. Dunno how bright it actually is but it’s great for commuting. Looks nice is well made with a small battery and UK plug. Comes with bar and helmet mount a 3 year warranty and cost the grand sum of 19.99 delivered

fadda

Bananas

wilburt
    Free Member

Clothes (unless your a chinese child) and another vote for petrol/derv should be double the price really.

Sundayjumper

Anything you can buy on ebay for <99p BIN including shipping from HK / China.

Cougar

Chips.

Not been to McD’s / KFC / BK recently then?

I bought a pint and a bowl of chips from the Old Dungeon Ghyll in the Langdales a couple of weeks back; the beer was nice enough but the chips were reheated frozen chips and both together cost me £6.10.

jools182
    Free Member

I guess it’s all relative

£150 a day is more than I’m on

km79
    Free Member

Third world labour. Someone can land a boat load of fish here, freeze it and ship it to the far east. There they process it, box it and send it back here and the supermarkets sell it to us for next to nothing.

matt_outandabout

Vango tents.

richmars

Given the technology, ink jet ink.

joshvegas
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Vango tents

Seconded

smell_it
    Free Member

Piping hot food in a good greasy spoon, it’s like the world takes a break to let you eat. When it brings on the urge for a proper satisfying stool, and this can be laid in crisp clean porcelain; heaven has a rival.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jools182 – Member
    I guess it’s all relative

£150 a day is more than I’m on
    do you bring your own chainsaw?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Easter eggs.

lunge

Bananas are a good shout, always shocked how cheap a bunch is.
    *lights fire* Train travel. I travel 100 miles every day on my pass, it’s costs £160 per month. That’s a bargain.
    ALDI food. I can feed me and the wife 3 meals per day for a week for £65 easily. In fact, I could get that down if needed too. And we’re not talking crap either, good, healthy meals.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sitting in the sun.

Not sunbathing mind … just sitting there bring warmed nicely….. Priceless

IA

CPUs specifically, and modern smartphones. Incredible the technology in them.

I mean in an old iPhone 5S say, there’s a billion transistors in the SOC alone. A billion things. In such a tiny space! And humans made that. incredible.

milfordvet
    Free Member

A 36h hot forged Shimano Deore hub with quick release that could take you around the world is £14 from a shop including VAT after shipped and import duty from the far east.

ransos
    Free Member

Vango tents.

They’re good, but cheap? Mine cost me £600.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shimano M520

Cheap, light and strong.

DezB
    Free Member

A week’s shopping in Lidl. Always amazes me .. “£35.42 please” What? It was £68 in Sainsburys last week!

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for Deore hubs. They may be slightly heavy and unfashionably hewn, but they will last practically forever and cost less than a four three post work pints in London.

Supermarket inner tubes. They’re the same as fancier branded ones you get in bike shops with valve gubbins and whatnot, but they rarely cost more than a couple of nuggets.

footflaps

I bought a pint and a bowl of chips from the Old Dungeon Ghyll in the Langdales a couple of weeks back; the beer was nice enough but the chips were reheated frozen chips and both together cost me £6.10.

Yep, food is pretty mediocre (at best) at the ODG. Wasdale Head Inn is much better…..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Inexplicably cheap things’ is closed to new replies.