• This topic has 50 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Kato.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Indycar crash
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Another major difference (I would have thought) is that this type of Indycar track, being oval, means that there are more cars on a shorter lap (meaning more chance of them bunching) and going at a much faster average speed – basically any accident at any point could be potentially very serious, whereas on an F1 circuit the accidents would be more likely to happen at the start (ie first corner) or during the race on a corner when speeds are naturally much lower.

Klunk
    Free Member

this is very reminiscent of the bad old days of f1

Nobby

Big field, short track, no run-off & 220mph+ leaves little room for error. The cars are set up specifically for the track so it’s impossible to change direction quickly or scrub off a load of speed without it getting horribly ‘busy’. More common to have incidents like that in Nascar but they’re 2 ton+ tanks so the end result is a lot less severe.

RIP Danny, your drive at Goodwood this year was a real highlight for me and I’m glad I had the opportunity to see it.

nickf
    Free Member

Another major difference (I would have thought) is that this type of Indycar track, being oval, means that there are more cars on a shorter lap (meaning more chance of them bunching) and going at a much faster average speed – basically any accident at any point could be potentially very serious, whereas on an F1 circuit the accidents would be more likely to happen at the start (ie first corner) or during the race on a corner when speeds are naturally much lower.

Agreed.

One of the reasons I don’t watch IndyCar is that it’s inherently too dangerous. In F1, if a car crashes out it usually leaves the circuit, scrubbing off speed until hitting tyre barriers. Cars rarely flip over (I’ve seen it only a couple of times in the last 20 years) and even if there’s a direct hit into a solid object, the crash structures are so strong that there’s rarely a problem. There’s often some debris remaining on the track, but it’s less likely to be big stuff; you do tend to get punctures, but then again again, these rarely cause huge accidents

In oval racing (all types, not just IndyCar), if someone crashes high into the wall, the debris remains on the track, bounced back into the path of the oncoming cars. There’s solid stuff to hit, not just tyres to damage. Added to that, there’s a significant difference between open-wheeled cars versus NASCAR, trucks etc in that that there’s just far less protection if the vehicle rolls, which, with the speed of IndyCars (225mph) and the constant lateral loads, is far more likely in IndyCar than F1. Add to this the fact that it was a small oval and that there were a very large number of cars, and the crash and resulting fatality is not a surprise.

Ask an open-wheel racer what they fear the most (other than losing a sponsor) and they’ll tell you that flipping the car is right up there.

RIP Dan

convert

One of the reasons I don’t watch IndyCar is that it’s inherently too dangerous

Isn’t it also a bit well, boring too? Never really understood the appeal in either indycar or stock car of the oval circuit. Might be my lack of understanding/education as I could say the same about other US sports like basketball, baseball and ice hockey which also seem a bit monotonous.

tails
    Free Member

Isn’t it also a bit well, boring too?

I was thinking that but then the F1 was truly awful this year! Perhaps a shorter F1 course with high speed banked corners and a similar number of starters would be good?

Sad to see yesterdays carnage! He was a handsome chap as well as a very skilled driver!

nickf
    Free Member

OK, I don’t watch IndyCar on ovals because despite being hugely dull, it’s also massively dangerous, and you’re waiting for the inevitable next crash. All of the risk, none of the reward.

Good on the street circuits though

the-muffin-man

Firstly it was a hell of a shock to wake-up and hear this news. Dan was a great driver and like Dario Franchitti should have had a chance in an F1 car. My thoughts go out to his wife and children.

Secondly – if you think Indy oval racing is dull then you haven’t watched enough of it! There can be some brilliant racing all down the field.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Secondly – if you think Indy oval racing is dull then you haven’t watched enough of it! There can be some brilliant racing all down the field.

How much do you have to watch though? I mean I’ve been told fishing is exciting to watch if you watch enough of it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not his first nasty crash in thew Indy series either…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/2938558.stm

Kato

….. and there was his Texas one too
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAh5j7Y-jU[/video]

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Indycar crash’ is closed to new replies.