Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • indoor training advice wanted
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Not really got any time at the moment to get outside on the bike so most of my riding is on the turbo about 60-70 mins max. Am doing this 3-4 times a week but just wondered what i should be doing!

i’m just wanting to get a bit fitter and faster on road hills in the lakes, and to get a bit more power available ‘in reserve’ for those tough bits on MTB climbs when you need to get over a more difficult bit, and lose a bit of weight.

So far am just doing the video hill climbs (eg 1hr ish alps climbs) on Bkool and doing the mountain route on Zwift, but was looking at the zwift workouts.

Am i better doing more workouts, or just more hills. Anyw zwift workouts i should be doing regularly?

cheers

zilog6128

Anyw zwift workouts i should be doing regularly?

Nope, you should be competing in the races.

Perfect training for giving what you think is 100% but then, at the key moment, finding a bit more in the legs. Which covers this I think:

to get a bit more power available ‘in reserve’ for those tough bits on MTB climbs

Plus they’re good fun!

lunge

My standard answer is to follow the GCN training videos. They add some nice structure and also help me push myself a little harder.

The ones I like at the moment are:
    40 minute sweetpot
    20 minute threshold
    40 minute strength and power
    20 minute HIIT

All have their merits and can be as horrible as you want them to be.

nathb
    Free Member

GCN has a section of workouts in Zwift – they look really good.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The new GCN 40 min on the Passo Giau if a fabulous workout.
    Its basically a 40min Under/Over set with the Under’s at 110rpm and the Overs at 60rpm.

Legs get a battering from the low cadence work, but the high super high cadence sweetspot ‘recoveries’ mean your HR/Cardio gets a hard workout too.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Zilog – might try some races eventually but I’m never certain of what time I’ll be able to get on the trainer, depends on what time I get the kids in bed. Need to find some easy ones that start after 8pm.

Do the GCN workouts on zwift tell you what power to ride at based on ftp or is it like in the video linked to above where it says ‘8 out of 10 effort ‘ cos I’m terrible at those I always end up slacking off!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers lunge, i hadnt found those, i’ll give the sweetspot one a go tonight for a starter. make a change from the spinervals i’ve used for years.

lunge

cos I’m terrible at those I always end up slacking off!

Interesting. I always take the view that if I’m going to sit in a dark garage on the turbo I may as well do some good and empty the tank. If I don’t feel sick at the end I add a couple of intervals.

Gav, the sweetspot one is very good and you can link the HIIT and threshold together for a particularly nasty session.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘indoor training advice wanted’ is closed to new replies.