Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Indoor quadcopter
  • zilog6128

Looking for a small but good quadcopter for indoor use – something cheap and easy to fly initially to test the water. I have a Spektrum DX6i kicking about somewhere left over from a failed attempt to fly (simulated) RC choppers so BNF/PNF preferably.

Been googling today and found the Blade range (made by the same company who make the Spectrum controllers I think so assuming good quality?) The Inductrix looks like it fits the bill perfectly – it’s under £40 although is it any better than similarly priced ones you get in a toy shop? Or is it better just to get a “proper” one like their Nano QX? Or any other brands/models people can recommend?

My other question is that I have an older DSM2 TX. Is this compatible with the DSMX receivers you get nowadays? I think it is from reading their website but I’m not 100% sure.

mogrim

Hubsan X4, don’t forget to get the protective ring guard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HUBSAN-X4-H107-Quadcopter-LEDs/dp/B00ZZGF0Z4

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting – I also have a DX6i, and hadn’t realised Blade had a cheap quad, I’m guessing the quality will be good and maybe better than the cheap RTF ones at similar price (with the advantage of a decent Tx).

…except, that mine like yours is DSM2, not DSMX – which isn’t compatible. I checked recently, and you can get an upgrade, but it’s £70!

edit: yay – have just got mine out to check and it is actually DSMX – sorry, the above still applies to you

re-edit: hang on, the BNF version says DSM2 and DSMX, so you’ll be fine.

tthew

Hubsan X4 also recommended. How much do you want to spend? They are bringing out some new versions that look quite an improvement on the current range. X4, new versions.

zilog6128

Hubsan X4, don’t forget to get the protective ring guard.

I was looking at those earlier – don’t really want to have to buy a package with a crappy controller though when I already have a decent one I could use. Reviews on the X4 do sound good though.

re-edit: hang on, the BNF version says DSM2 and DSMX, so you’ll be fine.

good spot, hadn’t noticed that! May well go with this!

toppers3933
    Free Member

Get a blade one. Any of their bnf quads will bind to your tx. I have a nano qx (somewhere covered in dust) that was really good to fly and parts were really easy to get hold of. A little bigger than the tiny ones which I never really found to be that much fun. Has an easy mode and a aerobatic mode which is quite good fun outside.

zilog6128

How much do you want to spend?

under a hundred I reckon, don’t want to go too cheap & buy something that’s just a toy and will be no fun or break easily.

Toppers, is the nano actually suitable for indoors in a smallish room? I know it says “indoors” on the website but then there’s also a video that shows it tearing around a sports hall at a fair rate of knots!

toppers3933
    Free Member

Mine has spent the majority of its life being flown around my lounge which isn’t very large. Me and toppers jnr would fly it around with no trouble. The good thing about it is if the wind isn’t too high it can go outside without any problems either. I’ll probably get around to selling mine at some point as I’ve sold everything else now.

mogrim

One thing to bear in mind is that while the quadcopter is (fairly) safe and easy to use indoors, it is pretty noisy – an irritating whine that may or may not be a problem. I fly mine a lot less than I’d like, as it’s a serious irritant if anyone’s trying to watch the TV.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Quite. We used to fly it in the kitchen or upstairs if Mrs + Miss toppers were watching tv.

zilog6128

Interesting point. Apparently the Blade Inductrix uses electric ducted fans so is a bit quieter than normal.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Nano QX. I have one ‘stock’ and a custom built one using an nQX flight controller, picnic Quads frame and MMW motors.

Both work very well even in confined spaces. My son happily flies it in my small living room using my old DX6i, I just reduced the rates and added a little expo for him (I don’t bother when I fly it with my DX9)

I’ve got a Nano QX 3D as well, its pretty fragile in comparison to a normal Nano QX but its a whole lot of fun to fly.

tthew

don’t want to go too cheap & buy something that’s just a toy and will be no fun or break easily.

Unless you go for something like a bonkers fast quad racer or a DJI vision, (and neither of those are suitable for indoors) they’re all pretty much toys, doesn’t mean that they are no fun or fragile though.

I’m going to start making my own tomorrow, based on this frame.It’s bloody miniscule.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, when I checked what Blade do nowadays, I remembered that I can fly a single rotor (even one without anything other than a tail gyro), and found some more expensive options. They say the Nano CPS is fairly indestructable…

apmdesigns
    Free Member

Hello All,

I am new to this thread (and forum). I too am in a position where I would love to get my first quadcopter. I think a toy type one would suit for in orders too, at least until I can work my way up.

zilog6128 did you manage to pick an indoor one that suits you?

apmdesigns
    Free Member

Hey zilog6128,

Just a quick update, as I mentioned before, I too am looking for something indoor (or beginner lever). I was reading a review on one that seems to be quite cheap but pretty good too. I have heard it been called Symax 5C and Syma X5C, not too sure the actual model name, but it is this on here https://sites.google.com/site/bestdronesreview/syma-x5c-review

From what I have seen it costs about $40 and the review seems to say it is pretty good.
    I would love to hear what others have to say about it. Do you think this would be ideal for someone like me who has never flown a quadcopter?

apmdesigns
    Free Member

sorry posted the same thing twice….not sure how to delete

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have an indoor chinook which is quite easy to fly, cost about £20 I think. It depends whether you specifically want to practice with a quad or just get used to flying something. FWIW I used to fly RC planes and gliders so these helicopters are great fun and pretty easy. It is best if someone can can help you for the first few minutes, shop perhaps ?

aracer
    Free Member

I taught myself to fly, starting with a cheap Chinook like you mention, moving onto a proper 4ch co-ax, then a traditional single rotor with no stability aids, so it’s certainly possible to learn by yourself if you’re careful. Modern single rotor helis with gyros are as easy to fly as a co-ax and quads even easier than that – the little ones are also fairly crash resistant – it’s a lot easier now.

zilog6128

@apmdesigns. On the off chance you are genuine and not astro-turfing (I’m not going to click on your link to find out) yes I’ve ordered a Blade Inductrix which hopefully will arrive this week so I’ll report back!

It depends whether you specifically want to practice with a quad or just get used to flying something.

Yeah specifically want a quad. I’m not interested in the scale-model aspect of the hobby at all so now quads are commonplace don’t really see the point of normal helis/planes. Quads just look easier/more fun! (and certainly more suitable for indoors)

apmdesigns
    Free Member

Hey guys thanks for the reply,

jambalaya, I will take a look at the Chinook (is there a model number for this). I too am based in the UK and £20 seems so cheap.
    Ideally, I want to learn how to fly them. The reason for indoors is because, I am not too sure if the UK has certain laws for these or not… thanks for the info nonetheless.

zilog6128, hahahah astro-turfing. I can honestly say, I have never heard of that expression before (is it cockney rhyme?). The link as you can see is a Google page that genuinely writes a review on the Syma x5C. I was a little reluctant to post it as I know many people spam, but sometimes these reviews can be biased and was wondering if anyone knows much about the Syma. As for the quads, I think you have a point about stability and easier to learn…just want to zoom that thing around the room 🙂

zilog6128

The Blade Inductrix has just arrived… it is awesome! It’s tiny, but very easy to fly and extremely fast/manoeuvrable. Been hovering/flying it around the office. Got it for £35 (not including a controller) from an eBay seller (who is also a proper bricks & mortar model shop).

I got an extra battery with it but I’m just about to order up a few more…
    Can anyone recommend a multi-charger thing to use with S1 LiPo batteries?
    I’ve seen these on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-6-port-USB-Lipo-Battery-Charger-w-JST-Charging-Cable-for-WLtoys-V969-V979-UK-/252000576344?hash=item3aac67a358:g:xSwAAOSwrklVOLwV

but they seem a bit cheap… don’t want to burn the house down!

I’ve looked some forums and people are recommend this board http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Battery-Parallel-Charger-Board-Charge-up-to-6-Micro-1S-Batteries-Heli-Plane-/271819906245?hash=item3f49ba9cc5:g:m24AAOSwqu9VFSAp

attached to a “proper” charger. Can anyone recommend one? Something like this perhaps? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-iMAX-B6-AC-Lipo-NiMH-RC-Battery-Charger-Discharger-Blancer-UK-Fast-Delivery-/321888584387?hash=item4af20e02c3:g:e9QAAOSw14xWF5RW

tthew

I’ve got one of the iMax chargers, or something very similar. Bought it in a bundle with a power lead and supply, which were very cheap and not CE/BS Kite marked. The charger itself is OK, but get from a UK supplier or buy the power supply separately from a UK supplier. You’ll need that kind of charger if you move onto a larger quad with a multiple cell battery anyway.

Not used one of those charging splitters myself, so can’t help there.

toppers3933
    Free Member

this wasn’t my intention when i posted but you can have my nano qx for £35 posted. all standard parts etc and a load of spare batteries. its in good condition. can email pics if you’re interested.

zilog6128

cool, email in profile if you want to send some pics over

aracer
    Free Member

I have several single cell LiPos, but just charge them sequentially using one of several chargers – usually the quality e-flite one which came with one of my planes. It’s not all that much trouble to do that.

zilog6128

Yeah, good point actually, would probably be fine with just another e-flite USB charger!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Indoor quadcopter’ is closed to new replies.