Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Indoor heating for drying bike clothes?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hello,

A Friend of ours is renovating a house in mid wales for use by riders, and she wants to install something that will be good to dry wet riding gear…..

I’d have said just have a fire / electric fire / stove and a drying rack.

But, before I jump to conclusions, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Ricks

wwaswas

a dehumidifier in a warm room is the best way – you need the air to be dry so that the moisture leaves the clothes – a warm damp environment is no good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dehumidifiers work well.

kailzie has these.

ski boot racks work well for most kit too as per the chalets in france.

pure heat doesnt always work that efficiently at drying stuff – depends on the source

tang
    Free Member

Def a warm room with a dehumidifier and rack for footwear. I have this very set up and it works well.

rewski
    Free Member

I have one of these heated towel racks, obviously ventilation or extractor fan is needed, if not possible then dehumidifier.

geoffj

Gorehound
    Free Member

Room with a woodburner and clothes horses in.

takisawa2

Needs plenty of ventilation. As long as its warm(ish) its about moving the air through & around the clothes. A ceiling fan & an open window work well, even in a room that’s just moderatly warm.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for a dehumidifier, but it does need emptying by the residents. Or get it plumbed in?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dehumids are great and pretty cheap (FWIW I suggest you buy a cheap one and then just replace as necessary). Dehumid works best if you get the room warm first to lift the moisture out of clothes then switch it on, most have an outlet pipe so you can stand it on draining board. Get the clothes as dry as you can via spinning cycle of washing machine. If you use the dehumid you want the room to be “sealed” (ie windows/doors shut) otherwise your just sucking moisture out of the whole world. Once dry open everything up to air. The room is going to stink !

Personally I find modern bike kit dries really quickly so you shouldn’t need to use too much power on the de-humid.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Indoor heating for drying bike clothes?’ is closed to new replies.