Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Incontinent dog woes
  • oldnpastit

What do you do about an incontinent dog?

Almost every morning we come downstairs to find our much loved rescue greyhound has left a little island of poo in a giant puddle of wee on the kitchen floor.

He gets taken for a walk before bedtime; but perhaps he just saves it up for later because whether he performs or not we still get to mop the floor the following morning. It’s starting to get a bit frustrating to be honest – much as I enjoy getting out the bleach.

We’re not entirely sure of his age as we only got him about three years ago, but we think he’s around ten years old. Certainly he is getting on, as you can see that his back legs don’t work as well as they used to.

The vet has prescribed some steroids but that doesn’t seem to make much difference.
    Is he just too old to be able to control his bowels? Or is he just lazy and feckless?

Thanks.

ojom
    Free Member

Is it always in the same place?

Unlikely to be a lazy thing presuming he was always good with this before.

Do you let him out 1st thing in the morning as a matter of course? Perhaps starting this if not might help him wait if he knows its coming.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Blimey. I have just started to have the same issue , one of our boxer dogs whom is fairly old, on wednesday night wet her dog bed and a big puddle on the floor underneath it. I thought it may be a one off but she has done it again last night. I am obviously a bit worried as dogs dont mess their own beds unless it was completely involuntary which makes me think is she losing control of her bladder.

MrSparkle

Similar thing with our old Collie, he’s 14yrs+. Get his prostate checked out.

oldnpastit

He was always good until about 3 months ago. It’s sometimes in his bed, sometimes within about ten feet of the closed kitchen door. He gets let out first thing and will invariably start barking from 5:30-6am. I’m pretty sure the barking means that he’s bored rather than desperate though.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Our 12 year old bitch has started doing the same but unfortunately she has been allowed to sleep on our bed since she was a pup. 😥

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm. In that case you need a force more powerful than your mind can imagine.

Cesar. Dog Whisperer.

jp-t853

bigbloke – Member

Blimey. I have just started to have the same issue , one of our boxer dogs whom is fairly old, on wednesday night wet her dog bed and a big puddle on the floor underneath it. I thought it may be a one off but she has done it again last night. I am obviously a bit worried as dogs dont mess their own beds unless it was completely involuntary which makes me think is she losing control of her bladder.

Bigbloke this could be an easy fix for a bitch. If she has been spayed at some time in the past then the muscles that hold everything in weaken. When the dog is asleep and relaxed the muscle relaxes and they know nothing about it. There is a drug called Propalin, Our whippet is nearly fifteen years old and she has been on this stuff for a couple of years and bar the odd accident where we need to up the dose for a few days she has been fine.

Karinofnine

Oh dear, very distressing for all. I haven’t got anything constructive to add, just good luck with getting it sorted.

tonyg2003

One of our 14yr bitches has jsut started doing this too. Although it was more that she was starting to drink much more, more than anything else. As suspected she has been pronouced diabetic and now she’s on insulin she’s much better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Incontinent dog woes’ is closed to new replies.