Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Inbred stem length
  • drotos
    Free Member

Hi!

I’m 182cm (about 5.97) and my inseam is 80cm (31.4″). I’ve a 18″ Inbred frame… and would like to use a 100mm 0deg stem and an Easton Monkey Lite XC low riser handlebar. Do You think that the stem length is OK? Or what’s Your suggestion?

Thanks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Inbreds are long in the top tube and built for 60-80mm stems.

I’m 5’8″ and ride a 16in with an 80mm stem which is spot on.

Most people don’t use long stems like that anymore as it slows the steering and puts too much weight over the front on the downhills. 🙂

drotos
    Free Member

I’ve a 18″ Merida hfs frame (590mm horizontal TT) with 100mm stem and a flatbar. Do You know the horizontal TT length of the Inbred (18″)?

ratadog

Current ones have an ETT of 602mm, don’t think it has changed from the original model. The product page here has the measurements under the geometry tab towards the bottom of the page, and recommends 60-80mm stems for the 18inch under the sizing tab. I ride a 20 inch 456 and a Scandal 29er both with 80mm stems – longer felt a bit sketchy.

Yak

I’m 5’8 and ride a 16″ inbred with a 90mm stem- spot on for me, but i’m ape positive by +2″ (arm span greater than height). I did try a 100mm but it made the front feel a bit ‘detached’, whereas the 90 feels solid and direct.

Best thing is to borrow a few different lengths if you can and try them. Whats fine for me might be well off the mark for you.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i’m 5’10”’ with 30″ inseam and run a 70mm stem on an 18″ inbred, and a 75 on a 16″ summer season. Both feel nice. wouldnt really want much longer, but i am not very tall.

Yak

seems i’m running my stem a little long in present company. I used to have an 80mm, but needed a tiny bit more length to stretch my back out a little. Didn’t want to shunt the seat back as i prefer to load the fork, so ended up with a 90mm. I can’t tell much difference between 80 and 90, but there was a big difference between 90 and 100 when i tried one.

takisawa2

5’9″ & a 90mm on my old 16″ 26er Inbred, 70mm on my 18″ 29er Inbred.

drotos
    Free Member

So the 100mm stem will be too long for me… even with the Monkey Lite handlebar. :S

drotos
    Free Member

Try to get a 90mm stem or even shorter?

Bez

Er. Try stuff and see if it works for you? Everyone’s different. No-one’s mentioned saddle position or seatpost layback or fork length either, all of which are going to affect your riding position.

If you’ve already got the stem, fit it, and if you don’t like it then replace it. If you haven’t got it, try what you’ve got. Or borrow stuff. Or buy cheap/secondhand stuff to try out and then sell it again for minimal loss.

drotos
    Free Member

I understand the idea… but I’m in Hungary at the moment and have to get some stuff and deliver here, so it’s not so easy. 😀

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“I’m 5’8″ and ride a 16in with an 80mm stem which is spot on.”

“I’m 5’8 and ride a 16″ inbred with a 90mm stem- spot on for me”

Where as I’m 5′ 8″ and ride a 16″ with a 65mm stem and it’s spot on for me 😉

drotos
    Free Member

We should start a photo album called “me, my Inbred and my stem”… 😀

andycs

18 inch Inbred 5 11 and 80 mm stem

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I use 50 mm on all my bikes and i’m 5’11”. Like others have said, it’s what works for you.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Definitely depends on how you ride and what kind of terrain. My singlespeed Inbred does a lot of flat smooth riding, and since my bikes are generally set up for XC riding, I run a 90mm stem on my 16″ Inbred, although I’m a short 5ft7in. Comfy enough to ride and I don’t feel the steering is too slow.

Can be a bit nose heavy of descents, but that’s got as much to do with the XC saddle height as anything.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Inbred stem length’ is closed to new replies.