Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Inbred, Slot Dropouts and QR Axles??
  • afrothunder88

Hello all,

I’m planning on moving from an eccentric BB’d frame to an Inbred with slot dropouts. My rear wheel uses a standard 9mm QR, is this compatible with chain tugs? If so, which ones? I know the Surly Tuggnut can use a QR but this seems to be out of stock everywhere.

The DMR ones on Chain Reaction seem to required a 10mm nutted axle which I don’t think will work for my hub & I’ve heard the On-One tug is crap.

Cheers

scruff9252

My slot dropout inbred doesn’t have a tug. Never conscious of it slipping if you do the qr up right.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve only ever found surly or on-one. The surly one is just a standard 10mm thing with a machined washer (tophat with the 4mm? hole drilled in it for the QR).

Could be fabricated if you have the option.

cp

I’ve used QR’s with DMR (or DMR-esque) chaintugs before, no problem. This style of tug has a protrusion which drops into the slot of the dropout and encapsulates the axle, so doesn’t matter if QR or an axle with nuts.

EDIT – these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-chain-tugs/rp-prod216

EDIT again, I’m probably reccomending what you think may not work. It will work… whether a QR hub or a threaded axle, the axle end in the dropout slot is still 10mm DIA – the above tugs pull on that bit within the slot.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve used the On One one before without issues. It’s not particularly nice, but it does the job.

afrothunder88

Hmmm, I might try the On One then. Did you use 1 or 2?

No option for fabrication, trying to keep it as cheap as possible!

Cheers

warpcow
    Free Member

Just the one, driveside.

cp

I use two, just as it’s easier to get the wheel straight

richardthird

I use 2 of the DMR types, and an XT skewer (any Shimano will do) done up Effing Tight. No chance with anything less on my 29er.

Cheezpleez

I’ve used On-One and Surly tugs with v few issues on QR axles. Surli is much nicer but both work fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Inbred, Slot Dropouts and QR Axles??’ is closed to new replies.