Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Inbred or 456 for 115mm Reba Team Air U-Turn forks?? (indecisive content)
  • stumpy01

Now I've replaced the old Stumpjumper with a new one, I want to take all the old bits off & build up a hardtail.

I don't really wanna spend loads of cash on it, as I've just forked out for the new Stumpjumper so was thinking of going for the (almost obligatory) On One frame.

The question is what frame to suit the Reba Team Air U-Turn that I'll be putting on it? Inbred or 456?
    I've searched on here & found a few opinions on whether a 100mm fork is too short for the 456, making it quite steep. The Reba is 115mm at max travel. Some people say that ~100mm is fine & others reckon it's too twitchy, which is something I don't want.
    I am guessing that with a 4" fork it's a bit steep, with a 6" fork it's a bit slack & 5" is where it's best…? Or is that completely wrong…?

I would just go for the Inbred & be done with it, but would this feel the same as the 456 with a short fork on it?

My motives are mainly to do with looks, as while the Barry White black & gold Inbred does look pretty good, I think the 456 in Chocolate with the Cream decals is a really good colour combo.

Opinions/Views/Experience/Conjecture, please!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Inbred. Every time with a fork that length. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

more or less the same geometry; you'll get more or less the same head angle for the same fork.

the inbred is a bit twangier – enough to notice, and a bit lighter – not enough to notice.

beefy

Get a summer season 456, would work great with a 115mm fork, still slack and fun.

stumpy01

I thought there'd be a rash of reponses with all the On One owners on here….

PP – why so Inbred? – Because of the steepness of the 456 with that length fork? Or more to do with it's intended use?

I've just looked at the geometry & assuming the inbred will have the same geometry with my fork, then the geometry would be almost the same (0.5 deg. steeper head angle on the 456 & 1 deg steeper seat tube).

Hmmm…….

EDIT – Beefy, hadn't thought of that….something to look into!

thwang-01
    Free Member

go for the inbred

mralexbenn
    Free Member

I'm going to put a 100mm fork on a 456ss soon and a 140mm Pike on the 456. I'm thinking they both should handle pretty well.

If I'm honest the 456ss is playing on my mind a little but have the forks now so just have to see how it turns out.

Not much help I know

takisawa2

Inbred all the way. Mate has just built one with that fork. Running mine with RC40, playing with travel settings & 100 – 120 it's simply brilliant. Far more fun than I'd expected & starting to ask why I have 5" FS languishing in the shed.
    Inbred all the way, has lovely ride also.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I will not despute the Inbred comments but I run my 456 with Mavick SC32's which have roughly the same axel to crown length as your Reba's but a 125mm travel

Works a treat

ds3000
    Free Member

I've got 120s on my new Inbred, I too was worried about the HA being too steep and the handling twitchy, having come from a summer season with the same 120 forks, which was almost like riding my old chopper.

The handling is fine though on the regular Inbred, definitely more lively and less boat-like but stable none the less.

stumpy01

Cheers for the replies. Measured the axle-crown on the Rebas earlier & it's approximately 510mm – which is 40mm more than the a/c height used to give the angles for the Inbred on the On One site.

It's looking like both will be OK, but perhaps the Inbred would be a better bet….

Crag
    Free Member

So has anyone ridden their SS with 140mm Pikes on?

I've just received my frame and was gonna do just that. I'm now a bit worried that it might be as slack as a bag of knackers and ride like a dog.

stumpy01
    ds3000
    Free Member

I suppose putting 140 pikes on a SS would be somewhat like having a DH bike with a stiff rear end. It'd be great going down, and probably manageable uphill.

ddmonkey

I think as long as you match the stem and bars to the head angle and accept the set up for what it is any combo will be fun. The slacker the head angle, the shorter the stem and wider the bars, the more fun IMHO!

I'm planning to put some pikes on my new inbred, as soon as I have cleared some space in the garage to build the thing up! 😆

poppa
    Free Member

The inbred and 456 have the same head angle for a given fork length, but the seat tube on the 456 is slightly steeper.

Unless the strength of the frame is going to be an issue (i.e. you are a very heavy/hard rider) the Inbred would probably be a good choice.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a Tinbred with Rebas at their Max travel, and it all works fine for me. I used to have a set of 120mm MX Pros on an Inbred and they were fine as well.
    Have Inbreds not been tweaked over the years to cope with longer forks, so it might depend on what generation of Inbred you are thinking of using?

Doug

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Inbred or 456 for 115mm Reba Team Air U-Turn forks?? (indecisive content)’ is closed to new replies.