Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Inbred – inline or layback seatpost?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

I'm probably having to change the (layback) seatpost on my Inbred. It's an 18" singlespeed, running an 85mm stem, and I do have an inline post that I can put on it, but just wondered what 'most' people do.

Reading timdrayton's post there's a few opinions on layback posts and what the designers do from standard – is the Inbred supposed to have an inline or layback on it?

saladdodger
    Free Member

It depends on what fits you if you have a long thigh length then you need a layback seat post if not then you need a inline post

It is what YOU need not someone else

I have a layback post on my 456 but the saddle is pushed forward so realy I could of used a inline post but the post I have works ( and more to the point is shiney) so it stays

Bez

I do have an inline post that I can put on it

Er. Then try that. And then you'll be able to find out if it works for you, instead of simply finding out what may or may not work for a bunch of differently-shaped muppets on the web with different riding styles, different fork lengths and inexplicably cock-sure opinions on what'll work for you.

And further to the previous post, I have long thighs and an inline post. So ner 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

bez

Funny old thing when I had a bike fit by Argos in Brizzol for a off the shelf frameset the owner of Argos said to me I had a long thigh length blah blah and on a custom frameset he would relax the seat angle, but no one needs a custom frameset "slide the seat back on the rails"

gonetothehills
    Free Member

fair points, well made 🙂

It was just that the other thread made me think – had Mr Richards designed it to take an inline or a layback – bearing in mind what people were saying about certain other bikes.

You're right though, I'll just put the inline on – if it fits, fine, if not, I'll go shopping!

cheers for the suggestions – much appreciated.

Bez

Well, quite. There's plenty of scope for adjustment in most configurations. Besides, I think unless you're an XC racer or endurance athlete there's a load of guff talked about MTB fit anyway. It's not like a road bike where you're in position for hours on end – you're out of the saddle at least as much as in it, moving around on the bike all the time. To a point it makes arguably more sense to set things up just to get your weight in the right place for the handling you want than to achieve your optimal biomechanical fit. My MTB position is a total dog to sit and spin for hours on the road but that's not what it's for.

Slap the inline post on, at worst you'll just go 'nah' and at best you'll find yourself cornering more aggressively.

Bez

had Mr Richards designed it to take an inline or a layback

AFAIK the original Inbred was born out of a frame ending up with one significant measurement different to what he'd designed anyway, so I wouldn't worry;)

gonetothehills
    Free Member

lol Bez. I'll report back tomorrow after I've had a play. With regards to me "cornering agressively" – following a couple of ice-related offs last winter, whether my mojo lets me do that again remains to be seen!

saladdodger
    Free Member

so on a uni cycle what post do I need 😆

Ok shuts up and goes to bed "sorry"

miketually
    Free Member

I replaced the Twelfty seatpost a while ago, after almost wearing
    through it with a gritty saddlebag, and accidentally bought a layback
    one. The bike felt too long, till I fitted Mary bars where either the
    extra sweep or the change in hand position fixed things. It now feels
    really good, and I was considering pushing the saddle right back on
    the rails and maybe running a slightly shorter stem.

But, it depends.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Inbred – inline or layback seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.