Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • inbred cable guide mods
  • jonb
    Free Member

Has anybody modified the cable guides on an inbred or 456. On mine they are solid so replacing the rear brake is going to be a bit annoying as I’ll have to cut the old old and the new one (if it comes set up). Bit of a pain as I then need to bleed them both to be useable.

I could use cable ties but was wondering if anyone came up with a more elegant solution.

Peter
    Free Member

Buy a bleed kit and do it properly.
    That’s the most elegant solution by far. Takes 10 mins.
    🙂

clubber
    Free Member

i cut slots in mine so that the hoses could be removed without taking the brake apart. Worked for me

imnotamused
    Free Member

clubber, how did you get the cable to sit in the guide without popping out?

jonb
    Free Member

Pics?

clubber
    Free Member

The hose is plastic so it’s flexible enough that if the slot you cut in the guide (just like the slot in gear cable stops but wider) is slighly narrower than the hose then you can pop it in but it won’t come out.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Like it.

Puts down holiday brochure and goes to get hacksaw…

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re careful, you’ll not need to bleed the brakes (I didn’t when I fitted brakes to an Inbred).

I_Ache
    Free Member

But you have to be very careful. You will need to fit the brake leaver first so you can fit a zip tie around it that holds the leaver in a tiny bit, just enough for the fluid to bead at the end of the hose but no more. Any less and you will get an air bubble.

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – I disconnected the lever end. After fitting new olives and tightening them up, any small air bubble will be at the top of the brake pipe and will just pop out into the reservoir with a wee tap and a couple of squeezes of the lever.

clubber
    Free Member

I agree that separating and refitting isn’t usually an issue but it is a hassle and has the potential to need bleeding (though admittedly I’ve never had to) and also, the potential to remove your paint if there’s any dot oil flicked when removing the hose.

I just find my slotted guide method easier.

jonb
    Free Member

Yes, I didn’t need to bleed the first time but this time I think the line is too short.

druidh
    Free Member

jonb – Member

Yes, I didn’t need to bleed the first time but this time I think the line is too short.

Then you’ll need to fit a longer hose and bleed it anyway??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘inbred cable guide mods’ is closed to new replies.