Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inboard shifters, is this right?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Putting my new bike together and shifters have the option of being mounted inboard so i thought i’d follow the zeitgiest and give it a go.You have to take the indicator window of which i can live without but it then leaves open holes in the shifter just waiting to be swamped with mud and crap. Is this right or am i mssing something?

Sorry for crap pic, phone used in dark garage

Rickos
    Free Member

Depending on the shifters you can get the proper covers without the window thing. As for me, I just used gaffer tape to cover over it.

swisstony
    Free Member

they’re 2011 slx but a quick search hasn’t shown anything up.

bit naff they’re not supplied with spares, not sure about tape think i’ll stick with oldschool outboard.

iainc

the blanks are on the bottoms on the units – pop them off and put on other side. there is an online guide somewhere

i have the same shifters !

fbk
    Free Member

Not sure about SLX but certainly on XT, when you remove the windows have a look in the underside – there’s a removable plastic cover that fits just nicely :).

edit: just like what iainc said quicker 🙂

Hoptot
    Free Member

If you look on the back of the indicator you removed there is a disk which unscrews and then covers the hole in the top of the shifter quite nicely.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks guys you’ve renewed my love of the mighty S

toys19
    Free Member

They are awesome for doing that, plus I love moving my shifters inboard. I think this actually explains why SRAM has been so popular with the gnaar brigade for ages, luckily shimano are catching up.

wwaswas

errm, isn’t ‘inboard’ nearer the stem?

iainc

Once the indicator is removed you can reposition the XT shifter to sit
    outboard of your brake lever. (option)

…..but we knew what he meant !! 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inboard shifters, is this right?’ is closed to new replies.