Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • In your face Health & Safety!
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I promised (perhaps foolishly) one of my students that I’d take him on the 20m very wobbly bridge in the prep. playground.

I managed to smile / grimace for the photo but it wasn’t until we were off and I saw the picture that I realised it’s the highlight of the academic year.

The boy’s a superstar. He attends a mainstream school and his tenacity every day with the odds against him is inspirational.

aracer
    Free Member

The chap pushing you looks quite pleased too

😀

aP
    Free Member

That’s a great picture. Well done to him (and you).

bruneep

‘like’

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

win for you aracer 🙂

tazzymtb

that’s a great pick!!

not quite sure where Health and safety comes into it as from a risk assessment point of view you wont have exceeded the maximum loading and there is suitable and sufficient edge protection. If you had accidentally injured the young chap though, injury lawyers for you would have a field day. but that not H&S. Very daily mail headline though so well done, perhaps next time add something about immigrants as well 🙂

nbt

*applause*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A great pic but what was unsafe?
    Sorry but h&s gets blamed a lot, many ways to get him up and down safely…
    Anyway off to become hated on stw again…

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I assume you’re being somewhat tongue in cheek Tazzy and Mike but without me (ie. if I fell over) the chair would have tipped. The boy has, amongst other things, mitochondrial disease so doesn’t have the muscular protection most of us do. The ‘safe’ way would involve extra staff which, being an international and private school the parents would need to fund directly. Teachers without the adequate training, if they slipped whilst moving him and needed time off, would cost the school significantly even if it were only insurance premiums and paying for cover teachers. Keeping him included in day-to-day life is a struggle as very intelligent professionals who excel at their jobs worry about near-impossible what-ifs.

There was absolutely an element of danger hence my grimace. Of course my title was tongue in cheek too.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

The smiles say it all 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘In your face Health & Safety!’ is closed to new replies.