Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • In the dog house. Where am I going wrong?
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

He’ll sit in it if I go in it, but he never uses it on his own. Is it not grand enough? 😆

wwaswas

he doesn’t think he’s a dog, he thinks he’s a person.

You the hairy bloke on the left?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Before we offer advice…Which one are you?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

He’s only going in there to protect you… 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

too drafty for him. try and line it with some cardboard or ply and then put a blanket/old towel/teddy in the bottom.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Is that tarp’ weighted down with a couple of truckles of double Gloucester?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s not a doghouse, it’s four pallets with a bit of tarp on the top. THIS is a doghouse:

bullheart
    Free Member

It’ll be the shame;

Your Dog: “Hey, Dave, what do you think of my doghouse eh? Prrrreeeetttty snazzy, doncha think?”

Neighbours dog, Dave: “Fella, it’s a load of pallets taped together…”

Your Dog: “Eh? You sure?”

(looks around at pallet dog-house)

“It’s shit, isn’t it?”

Dave: “Your owner’s an arse. Shit in his slippers”

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, I see……..

But they’re not just any old pallets from the back of the supermarket. No sir, they’re from the airport.

That tarp is proper carpet too. Colour specifically chosen to blend in, underlined with thick plastic from the farmer merchants.

The whole thing cunningly held together with zip ties so there are no sharp edges, and it can be dismantled and moved easily, whilst remaining sturdy when in place.

I thought the vented sides were a master stroke in the current heatwave. I was gonna “foam” the walls to insulate them in autumn.

Guess I was just being too Ray Mears eh?

Anyways, thanks everyone. I’m off out on my bike now….if I could find my cycling shoes! 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

….if I could find my cycling shoes!

Try to the dog house. They may have dog wee in them though.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cool dog, what does it want to be when it grows up?
    I’d second the draught stopping, it seems too open too. I think the dog will want somewhere to climb into and be inside of, rather than having a couple of top class pallets thrown around. Do you have a door to protect your manspace? dogs want a bit of privacy too.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

LOL I think you need to google ‘how to build a dog house’ 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

At the minute its an open cage not a kennel. It needs to be enclosed on three sides with its back against something solid like a fence. Dog needs to feel safe and secure in his kennel. Cracking dog, cr@p kennel!

falkirk-mark

Colour specifically chosen to blend in

Thats where you went wrong, dogs are colour blind but obviously not blind enough they cannot spot a bodged kennel,he’s probably too scared to go in it himself in case it falls down round him.

khani
    Free Member

THIS is a doghouse

That’s a bloody dog castle!!! 😯
    Are you an MP ?
    Expenses ?……..

threeek
    Free Member

Nice dog stratobiker! 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Apologies for making anybody vom with my comment, but:

I tried loads of things to make my cat sleep in her basket, the only thing that works is putting in a jersey that I have worn loads. No doubt that makes me her bitch. (And positioning it nice and high so she can survey her empire)

anagallis_arvensis

you have to ask yourself why he would sit in there, it will be draughty and doesnt look very comfortable.

Gary_C

Proper LOL’d at this!!

Basil

Wee man or **** hugh dog?

CountZero

Think of this scenario; someone’s offered you a holiday chalet, nice and comfy, all mod cons, you turn up and it’s a box full of holes, no glass, and the bed’s a blanket on the floor. Your reaction would be? Your dogs happy with you in there ‘cos you’re sharing the indignity. 😉

That really made me lol too.

heywayne
    Free Member

You tried compost in there?

I’d live in it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Lol @ MTG.

trailmonkey

that is one stoopid looking dog.

my kind of mutt 8)

Dolcered

hes lovely. typically sheps love to be with their owners, took us ages to persuade ours to use her kennel, lots of dried liver treats worked. She runs in now when we are there in the hope of some liver. Still not sure if she uses it when shes on her own, but at least its there.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yeah, he’s a lovely “fully loaded” dog, and I know they’re supposed to have some kinda instinct that makes them want go into a “safe” place, like a cave/kennel. But it’s like Dolcered said. He just wants to be with us. He won’t come into the house, he’s a rescue dog who spent his first ten years living in a couryard. So when we go in, like at night, he just sleeps outside the door…..

Might try blocking the sides and back in. See if that makes any differnce. Thing is, when I sit in it I think it feels quite nice.

My post a “show us your dog kennels” thread….I wonder if mcmoonter has one!!!! 😉

Dolcered

By the look of him he’s totally adapted to outside living,maddie is an inside rescue, shedding fur like mad just now! We started off with her sleeping in the living room, only to find her guarding the bedroom door every morning. She’s got her own bed at the bottom of ours now.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I think the problem is your calling it a “dog house”.

Try calling it a “huge wolf house”, and your huge wolf might just use it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

We’ve discussed this before. That isn’t a dog, it is a bear. Bears live in caves, make the house of pallets more cave-like.

mogrim

Yeah, he’s a lovely “fully loaded” dog, and I know they’re supposed to have some kinda instinct that makes them want go into a “safe” place, like a cave/kennel.

That’s the point though, isn’t it? Your doghouse is about as uncavelike as can be – you need to cover the sides, and cover most of the front too – Mr Woppit’s dog palace is right, a smallish entrance which the dog can stick his nose out of when he wants to.

And lol@bullheart!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘In the dog house. Where am I going wrong?’ is closed to new replies.