Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • In praise of Warmshowers and bike touring.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lindsay emailed me asking if I could host a fellow cycle tourist.

I registered on https://www.warmshowers.org/ before a US trip never intending to use it, but I found myself in Oregon after two back to back nightmare days of torrential rain and storm force winds where my will had been broken.

I looked online and found a Warmshowers host fifteen miles away. I called them apologising for the short notice asking if I could camp in their garden. They said they’d be much happier if I stayed indoors in a warm bed. In fact they asked if I’d like to stay a couple of nights while the forecasted storm passed.

Lindsay is from Calgary bike touring around Scotland then heading south to London and a flight home.

I was thrilled to be in a position to help out a fellow traveller. This afternoon I was working at the stables when SHE arrived. I was expecting a guy.

We talked of her travels and of Canada. I have relations there. In fact the only folks I know in Canada are those relations. Turns out she’d knew two of them. My second cousins are Jill and Matthew Barber, they are both musicians, Lindsay had been to one of Jill’s gigs! Small world.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuZGejW4zHw[/video]

So she’s heading from Moont Towers to St Andrews tomorrow then north via Perth to Blairgowrie – Pitlochry – Aviemore – train to Skye – Mallaig – Oban – Arran – Ardrossan then south with no real formal plan.

I was wondering given the early season if I could introduce her to the biking family that is STW so she could float any potential route advice and if it were necessary a couch to surf upon?

shermer75
    Free Member

So who’s in the video? Lindsay?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So who’s in the video? Lindsay?

No that’s my second cousin Jill.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Calling binners.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Please, Hora be out of town.

hora
    Free Member

HoraII might be in town. Hes my metrosexual second cousin.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

HoraII might be in town. Hes my metrosexual second cousin.

Struggles to get my mind around the possibility. 😀

rogermoore

Hi MM.
    I cycled from Mallaig to Oban last year via Mull, taking the Kilchoan to Tobermory / Craignure to Oban ferries. Did that leg over 2 days, stopping at the YHA at Tobermory. Pretty challenging cycling (bearing in mind we had mostly fair weather) but none the less an excellent route.
    RM.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘In praise of Warmshowers and bike touring.’ is closed to new replies.