Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • In need of a commuter, help!
  • nathanf
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m planning on riding to work to improve fitness and save money. The commute is roughly 9 miles each way and mostly consists of country lanes and cycle paths.

The problem I’m having is deciding what bike to buy! I’ve looked into road bikes like the Giant Defy and Specialized Allez but I’m not sure if they’ll take the abuse from riding battered country lanes during the winter months. I’ve also looked at the Genesis Croix de Fer and Cotic Escapade but feel the extra weight might kill me on the climbs. Another option I’ve thought about is manning up, forgetting about the weight and buying a cheap wheelset and a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple tyres to put on a Stanton Sherpa and just having the one bike.

So… The question is, what bike is best suited to the job? Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers.

gonzy
    Free Member

Depends on your budget. I recently bought a saracen studio 74. Its a full on hybrid….700c x 35, 27sp, discs etc.
    so far its doing a good job on the commute…7 miles each way on some pretty rough road surfaces.
    Cost me £545.

sc-xc

Mudguards and rack essential IME. I use a Pompetamine with hub gear, much more suitable than any other bike I have used before.

You’ll kill your good bike(and your will to ride it at the weekend) if you use it daily on shitty roads….

nathanf
    Free Member

If I go down the new bike route my budget will be around £700 – £1000. I’ll look into the Pompetamine and Saracen’s offerings. Thanks for the replies!

m360
    Free Member

Mudguards and rack essential IME.

Agree with this!

Halfords have some cracking deals on Boardman hybrids at the moment, I wish it was payday already!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A Defy would easily handle it. If your that concerned get some wider tyres for comfort

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got an Allez for winter road and commuting journeys. It does get pretty wrecked, I clean it and put a new transmission on each October, then thrash it all winter! It does fine. Rack only essential if you’re carrying stuff. Mudguards absolutely.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Dont be afraid of getting a good bike for commuting, aslong as you have a good place to keep the bike at work, keep on top of maintenance and keep it clean you will not Kill a commuter. Yeah your wear parts out quick but the bike will be fine.

Your going to be spending a lot of time on the bike so buy something you will enjoy riding.

Rack, mudguards and discs essential imo for commuting.

The new 2015 Genesis equilibrium discs look good for a fast commuter.

eulach

I’m very happy with my steel, commuter, tourer, winter trainer from Planet x.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I just used a Giant Escape for that. Only thing ng I would have preferred was discs. You could do your proposed commute on anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘In need of a commuter, help!’ is closed to new replies.