Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • In memory of 29erKeith
  • andylaightscat
    Free Member

Donated 🙂
    Any chance of this being made a sticky please Mods?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Done. I was moved by your eulogy to Keith, great friends like you help make it all worthwhile.

Smash it.

And this:

we need updates and photos of just how hard the training is…

🙂

roverpig

Done. All the best.

singletrackmind

done
    good luck with your event.
    sounds impossible to me , all that effort in one day.

philhadfield

Done
    Good Luck with your event! Keep us informed of how it goes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

good on ya.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Done.

That’s one hell of a challenge; good luck.

Bloodwise is very close to my heart after an uncle I was very close to lost his battle with Lukemia at the age of 30. The first bone marrow transplant didn’t work but the second one did. Unfortunately the second round of treatment was too much for his organs to take.

He too didn’t listen too much to advice; we went skiing seven days after his first transplant and lived life to the full for those two years.

tuboflard

Done, all the best with the training and first and foremost, enjoy it. A very good friend of mine died when he was just 18 from Leukemia, often wonder what he would have made of himself.

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

Done.

He would be so proud of you, what a friend! Good luck.
    What a great forum STW is 🙂

funkrodent

Done, all the best to you mate

metalheart
    Free Member

Forgotten my JG log in but will look it up tomorrow in work. I’ve sent myself an email to remind me 🙂

My mum died last year of lymphoma (but she at least managed a ripe old age). So this is (very) personal for me too.

Good luck, hope it brings you what you need as well.

scaredypants

I’m in

Curto, I assume you’re in the SOuthampton area. If you want somebody to do the odd training ride with, get in touch. Won’t be doing any hundred milers but even if it was for part of your ride it might make it less of a grind.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Done. A truely worthy event in his memory. Best of luck.

curto80
    Free Member

Just one more quick update from me for the time being. Together we’ve raised nearly £4K inside 36 hours. That is way beyond what I thought would happen in 4 months and a huge credit to STWers.

It’s been interesting reading people’s own experiences on here – please keep sharing. I’ll be posting updates occasionally to let you all know how I’m getting on.

Thank you so much to all of you, this is going to make a difference.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/NeverGiveUp2017?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=NeverGiveUp2017&utm_campaign=pfp-share

singletrackmind

If you want to do some 100 milers then pm me. Im in Hants and a closet roadie . Not 0530 though, that is waaaaaaay to early, 0630 however not so bad.

jamj1974

Nearly £4K and you made this happen curto80. What a friend you are to do this for a mate.

frankconway

Agree with jamj1974 – if it wasn’t for you, Curto, this wouldn’t have happened; your determination to honour your friend’s memory; your determination to make a difference; your willingness to push your body to extremes.
    All ‘we’ have done is donate money and provide both words and offers of support.
    I raise my hat to you – Chapeau!

curto80
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind words guys, it’s been a great week and makes the training in the dark and rain all worth it.

Scaredy/singletrackmind – thanks that would be awesome. I’ll post details of planned rides on here and we can work out if we can do some rides together and if anyone else from the Hants massif can join. Typically it’s 100km ish either new forest or South Downs, distances will be building up especially after the Southampton marathon in April when I’ll switch into bike phase of the training

guglielmo
    Free Member

Done, well done mate, best of luck with it. Shared the link with a few pals too so hope the love spreads

curto80
    Free Member

Cheeky self-bump seeing as today is World Cancer Day.

transition1
    Free Member

Done
    Good luck

curto80
    Free Member

Thanks mate

sadexpunk

done. best of luck mate.

jimmers
    Free Member

Done. Good luck!

It was an honour knowing Keith. I can remember running the Meon Valley plod with Keith and I believe you were running it as well IIRC. It absolutely chucked it down. Keith didn’t bat an eyelid just cracked on!

Best wishes to his family and son.

curto80
    Free Member

Hey James

Thanks for sponsoring me mate.

Yes i remember it well. K lent me his spare running smock which was literally what saved me from hypothermia that day. I’m doing it all over again later this month as part of my training – that will be emotional.

Coincidentally i have George and Oliver round for dinner tonight, G sends her love.

Hope all good with you buddy.

jimmers
    Free Member

All well here thanks. Last year I finally married my long suffering other half after 19 yrs together! Still riding and doing the odd long distance stuff but not a patch on your challenge!

What is spooky is that I haven’t looked at STW for literally months, especially as I ride more road than dirt these days, but saw your post.

Hope all goes well and I’m sure you’ll smash it!

PS say hello back to George

hairyscary

Donated. Good luck.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Very sad to hear about Keith. Sounded like a great guy and a lesson to people taking life for granted. Don’t waste it folks.

Best of luck Curto! Go for it!

bearnecessities

Not wishing to appear crude by talking money, but wowzers..

Singletrack Anon 5 days ago
    £1,000.00+ £250.00 Gift Aid

What a fab gesture.

matt007
    Free Member

Done. Good luck! And well done

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thats a very generous donation, chapeau to whoever it was.

curto80
    Free Member

Absolutely right. That person has asked to remain anonymous and I respect that but i hope they know just how much that means to me, to Keith’s wife and everyone else who knew him. That said, the response of everybody on here has been unbelievable. Everybody who’s contributed, or just stopped what they’ve been doing for a minute to think about the sh1t that people with cancer have to go through, are all amazing.

Mods, thanks for making this a sticky.

jamj1974

Someone on here is amazing. Wow!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Small donation done

badnewz
    Free Member

Small donation. Heartbreaking, this world.

buckster
    Free Member

Hows the training coming along?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Donated.

I rode many times with Keith, mostly as part of a local group but occasionally just the two of us and never remember him grumbling about anything, not even my less than reliable sense of direction.
    I last saw him 10 days before he died. Three of us went round that evening to say goodbye while we could and over a few beers we swapped news and Keith told us of the trials and tribulations he’d had dealing with bureaucracy in preparing for his own passing. He appeared to have taken the task on in the same way he planned for events or renovated his house. All or nothing. I got the impression he was perhaps being a little too thorough for George’s liking but that was Keith and he had obviously gone to great lengths to try and make the transition as smooth as possible for his family.

Dark-Side

Done. Only a tenner off 4.5K now. Good luck Nathan.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Small donation made, and hats off to the earlier anonymous huge donation, what generosity.
    Good luck with a beast of a challenge.

curto80
    Free Member

Mostly B, I think I may have met you very briefly that evening. I vaguely remember popping in.

Thanks to everyone who’s continued to support me on this.

Training going ok thanks. Cheeky half marathon before work this morning with some good sweet spot reps in there. Still concentrating on the running for now so not doing that much cycling.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘In memory of 29erKeith’ is closed to new replies.