Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • In-Dash Satnavs
  • spooky_b329

I'm looking to buy an in-dash satnav, you know, the ones with the fragile looking screen that flips up out of the radio. Single DIN.

Key features required: Satnav for UK/Ireland/Europe, proper ipod connection, rear camera input (pref two), adjustable screen angle as my radio sits almost vertical so the screen only needs to flip back a few degrees.

Have a choice of a Navsure 420i from Halfords for £270 (via a 10% voucher I can get via my employer) but got to go in as I think the ipod connection is just aux in, rather than on screen control.

Or a couple from ebay, more expensive but have more features such as bluetooth for the phone, tv tuner etc. Going in a campervan so stuff like that isn't as silly as would first appear…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-In-Dash-DVD-CD-Player-Car-Audio-GPS-Navigation-SatNav_W0QQitemZ350304209773QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item518fc20b6d

£325, But doesn't include certain key countries like Austria.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XTRONS-D707G-7-In-Dash-Car-DVD-Sat-Nav-GPS-SD-USB-RDS_W0QQitemZ370317553024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item5638a56d80

£280, on screen displays don't seem as good, and waiting to find out where the satnav covers.

Any recommedations, above or otherwise?

GrahamS

Word of Warning: check the cost of updating the maps for those things!

I've got a factory-fitted sat-nav on my Focus. The map runs off a DVD in the glove box, but it is well out of date.

I have two problems:

Firstly, I have no idea where to actually buy map updates from. (Nothing on the Ford website. Ford Dealer was clueless. DENSO deny everything. Navteq doesn't think my system exists).

Secondly, the map update apparently costs £200!!!

spooky_b329

wow! I've seen one of the ebay sellers sells an EU map card, think it was £90, so assuming the UK is the same, its quite close.

You could try one of the Ford forums, they are really good for advice and you may well be able to go into Ford and quote some part number at the parts desk.

GrahamS

Yeah, it's a major rip-off – especially when you can get 4 map updates a year from TomTom for 30-odd quid!

You could try one of the Ford forums…

It's okay.. I..err… acquired one 😀

uplink
    Free Member

The second one you linked to can be loaded with Tomtom [on an SD] card
    Same as this I think
    http://www.chinacargps.com/single-din-car-dvd-gps-navigation-7-digital-hd-touchscreen-pip-rds-p-550.html

Not sure about the first one

Tomtom is very good, cheap [v-cheap if you don't mind where it comes from] & well supported

spooky_b329

Well I just had a look at the Navman 420i in Halfords, to say I was unimpressed is an understatement. The navigation is terrible, blocky, jerky, slow and poor choice of colours etc. And it definately is UK/ROI only, so thats off the list.

Can see myself just getting a DVD type flip up player and a seperate satnav from Garmin or the like.

jd-boy
    Free Member

I use both a TomTom and a Garmin Nuvi for work and the TomTom is the more user frendly tool, They both have there good and bad points but if I had to choice one in would be the TT the map display on the TT is better.the Garmin is more pocket size which is good as it lives in my jacket pocket when not being used.
    But saying that I use a Garmin 705 GPS for mapping the courses for the Thetford events and it works fantastic for that job.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘In-Dash Satnavs’ is closed to new replies.