Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • In Car Li-Ion Chargers good/bad idea
  • smudge
    Free Member

Thinking ahead what would the singletrack masses think about a Li-Ion car charger that worked off the cigarette lighter
    Just testing the water to see if it would be a good idea or not to buy some in.

And no I havent got any before I get emails 😆

joiner
    Free Member

good idea smudge……..when you back in peaks ????

CHB

Only if they whistle.
    [good idea]

daveh
    Free Member

If I may I'll answer your question with a question: Do Li-ion batteries need 'peaking up' immediately before use as Nicd and particularly Nimh need to perform at their best?

At some point we all forget to charge/don't leave enough time to charge so I'd say good idea. Maybe a 12V charger that plugs into the car with a 'dumb' lead and/or into the mains via a transformer?

Solo
    Free Member

Initially, my reaction was yes, I would like an in-car charger, that I'd like the option to charge en-route, on those occassions when I "drive to ride".

However, I think I can see DaveH's point.
    "Do Li-ion batteries need 'peaking up' immediately before use "

I for one do not drive to ride for long enough to charge a flat battery. So if I haven't charged my batteries before the ride, then I'm in trouble anyway.

Well, that is unless these in-car chargers are rapid charge, etc.

🙂

Solo

FieldMarshall

My Lupine lights came with one and whilst I usually try and make sure my lights are put back on charge straight after a ride, I have on occassion used it when en-route for a weekends riding when I have forgotten to charge them at home/work.

jim
    Free Member

I've used the car adapter for my ayup charger on a few occasions when I've forgotten to charge them at home, pretty handy I think.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do Li-ion batteries need 'peaking up' immediately before use as Nicd and particularly Nimh need to perform at their best?

Apparently you shouldn't do this anyway, you should wait for the battery temp to drop to ambient before using them. The higher internal temp gives the little extra voltage that looks nice and bright, but means that they can get too hot under use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘In Car Li-Ion Chargers good/bad idea’ is closed to new replies.