Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • In Canada for a year. What bike events should I put on my calendar?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

As the title says, looking at what mtb races I should look at doing in Canada next year. Preferrably marathon / 24 hour races.

Staying in Whistler btw..

handyman
    Free Member

any of them local to you otherwise be prepared to trave a lot

Steve77
    Free Member

Well make sure you’re in town for Crankworx for starters!

markgraylish
    Free Member

What sort of racing do you do? ie XC or DH?
    Plenty of ‘Toonie’ races in town (Toonie = $2 entry!). Check the WORCA website.
    If XC/Enduro is your style, consider the NIMBY 50 up the road in Pemberton. Or the North Shore Bike Fest in North Vancouver. Squamish also put on plenty of events (Test of Metal, Just Another Bike Race, Gearjammer etc)
    Or the biggy (if you can afford the entry fee) is the BC Bike Race.
    You’d be better off looking at the race forum on NSMB.com for advice

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks, mostly into endurance racing (24 or 12 hour races) with some xc.

_tom_
    Free Member

If you fancy DH racing I think over summer there’s Phat Wednesdays every week til September.

walleater

Just get stoned and freewheel downhill.

BearBack
    Free Member

Test of Metal. Pretty dull race all said and done, but a great season opener.. if I dont train to race the TOM, then I may as well scratch the xc race season off… (as per my last 2 seasons of racing)

JABR and GearJammer are much better races. Shorter but more tech than the TOM.

Not much 12/24 hr racing here. 24hr of adrenaline ran 3 seasons in Whistler. Had to leave because of some olympic issue but was supposed to be back after.. not seen/heard about that yet. Thankfully the 24hr adrenaline legacy was what is now the Zappa trails so that was fantastic!

If you race to be competitive in JABR/TOM/GearJammer you will have a good workout.

XC racing here is NOT like XC racing in the UK. Riders that can’t race the tech here.. will do very badly, regardless of their cardio conditioning. Baggie clad riders will destroy uber fit roadie crossover racers.

Nimby50 was a huge success and we might see some exciting new format from Horn/Lamont/Hestler for 2012. But I almost guarantee no 12/24 durations. Its just not as appealing to the BC crowd as the events listed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘In Canada for a year. What bike events should I put on my calendar?’ is closed to new replies.