Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Impulsive Camera advice after the fact – Nikon V Canon
  • kayak23

I have had a Nikon D40 for about 3 years now, totally love the camera and got on great with it.
    The other day it died, electronic fault, it gave me a message about failure and now won’t start up at all.
    My quandry was, they are worth relatively very little now, by the time I’d paid to have it looked at and then labour I may be looking at a fair bit more than it’s worth….so..

I decided to buy a Nikon D90. I always liked the D90, and its features, and also I was used to Nikon AND I have a 35mm prime lense for my Nikon.
    I went ahead and bought one last night on an online finance deal(I’m really badly impulsive) and have woken up thinking perhaps I should have shopped about some more or even…..(shock horror) switched my camera brand loyalty?….

Looking at the Canon range, a similar camera I think would be a 600d or 650d? They do seem to offer a fair few more features over the Nikon D90 as that is now a few years old.
    The obvious comparison is the Nikon D5100, but a girlfriend had the D5000 and I never liked it, felt plasticky and gimicky with the swivel LCD etc..

Anyway, I understand I have a short amount of time in which I can cancel the sale of the Nikon and return it(Jessops), so what is your experience of any of these cameras?
    Should I stick with the Nikon D90 and keep my prime lense, or switch camps to Canon, sell the lense and get something a bit different for similar money?

Appreciate any help for my impulsive tendencies… 🙄

Edit: I should say, one of the comparisons is the Full HD video on the Canon cameras as opposed to 720p on the D90. I would use the video feature I’m sure, but have a Gopro too which is mostly used for that, and is there REALLY a noticable difference?

RustySpanner

If you fancy a change, change.

I like Nikon myself, but I use Canon stuff on occaision.
    Your pictures won’t be any different, but it might suit you better.
    I think Nikon suits me best, so that’s what I’m sticking with.

D90’s are fine cameras and much tougher than you might expect.

glenp
    Free Member

(With the possible exception of one that does exactly a certain thing that you need) “features” are a total distraction. In this modern consumer crazy world we get sucked into feature counting, at the expense of thinking about the things that actually matter, such as does it fit in your hands nicely.

As for video – once you actually watch the content and not the presentation it makes no difference at all, except you get smaller files. imo

bezlei

If you want to take it with you on a ride – go mirrorless. Way lighter, smaller and image quality on the bigger sensors eg Sony Nex (I have one of these), just as good as the type of DSLR you are looking at.

stumpy01

Depends how much you paid for it? Was it a bargain? It’s a fair step up from the d40 I reckon, but as you say it is a few yrs old now.

I’d have been looking at the d7000, but it depends how much of a deal you got on the d90 & what your budget is/was…

footflaps

D90 is a great camera – had rave reviews at the time, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I’d have been looking at the d7000

Also a great camera, I have one as well as the D4. The D7000 goes everywhere in my Camelbak cycling and skiing. Still top of the Nikon DX range for now.

kayak23

Some really helpful answers thankyou. Has made me feel a bit better about the D90. I think the D7000 is just a bit too expensive for me right now.
    I have to buy on finance and so you don’t tend to get any deals really.

The Nikon D5100 has a cash back offer in jessops but yeah, I’m just not sure about that model and I have actually used a D90 and liked it.

You’re very right about being led in by features that don’t really matter. My d40 took brilliant pictures, I’m sure the D90 well take even better ones.

But still, I’d like to get the most for my money.

I guess for me, I want low light performance and quick frame rate (biking and kayaking shooting) but also just a nice camera….hmm…

Mintman
    Free Member

I made the exact same upgrade and the D90 is significantly better than the D40 it replaced. It might be old but it still performs very well and with my 50mm prime lens takes some lovely sharp photos.

I really doubt you’ll regret it!

Pyro

I’ve been using a Nikon D80 for years, but when I upgrade in the New Year it’ll be a D7000. The D90 i’d a lovely camera, but (as far as I see it) both it and the D300 have been superseded, the 300S wasn’t much of an upgrade on the original 300 and while the “consumer” range (D3000-3100-3200\5000-5100-5200} have had a lot of development, the “pro-sumer” range (D90/D300-300S/D7000) are due a bit of work.

Anyway, on the Nikon vs Canon – take your pick! Having used both (D80 and 50D) I prefer the Nikon, but that’s more because i’m used to the setup and idiosyncrasies in metering etc. I know the Nikon better (have had it longer) so it’s what I use more. Results-wise, they’re much of a muchness, the consensus amongst people I shoot with is that Canon’s sensors are better, but Nikon wins in the processor stakes. Don’t know about video because I don’t use it, but stills-wise i’d say stick with what you know.

footflaps

Main upgrades with D90 over D40 are video support, better sensor (CMOS vs CCD) and built in motor drive for lenses.

It’s a good choice and in 99.9% of circumstance, you won’t see any real difference between it and a D7000 when it comes to taking photos. The only reason I went D80 to D7000 was the faster frame rate – image quality wise I can’t tell the difference 99% of the time to be honest.

Pyro

PS – I shoot the same as you, biking, boating and adventure racing.

footflaps

Jessops often do 0% deals. I bought by D4 using their finance deal.

AlexSimon

I much prefer the video from the Canons since the 550D, but if you’re mainly taking stills, I would perhaps stick with the Nikon.

They are really comfortable to hold and operate. More like a 60D in terms of size and having the second screen on top is great.
    I find the Canon XX0D range too cramped.

stumpy01

I’ve got a d80 too. One of my mates has a d90 & another has the d7000.

I would say the d90 is an evolution of the d80, whereas the d7000 is the next jump in digital technology. It seems faster, more accurate, has more focussing options, dual mem card slots, much better low light image quality…

No way I would deem the upgrade from d80 to d90 worth it. But the jump from d40 to d90 is pretty large & equally the d80 to d7000 seems like a big enough jump to be worth it.

Another thing the d90 has that the d40 doesn’t is wireless flash control (commander mode). I am not sure whether the d40 has an IR sensor for the very inexpensive IR shutter release that Nikon do.

lodious
    Free Member

TBH, I’d stick with it. Both Canon and Nikon have +/-‘s, but for the most part, the differences are small. Spending time learning more about about photography in the wider sense will make a much bigger difference to your pic’s than spending hours reading fat American’s whining on DP review about Camera x/y/z.

That’s said, I agree with Alex about the cheaper Canon’s…they are much too small….does the Nikon have a bigger body?

kayak23

The Nikon does have a bigger body than most of the Canons in similar price brackets, it also weighs quite a lot more, but I don’t mind as i’m rock hard innit. 😉

footflaps – Member

Jessops often do 0% deals. I bought by D4 using their finance deal.

No that’s right, they do, do 0% finance deals, and that’s what I have bought it on however, when you buy with finance you don’t tend to get money off sweeteners or stuff thrown in like you often do if you walk in with cash.

Thanks, you guys are still making me feel better about the D90… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Spending time learning more about about photography in the wider sense

Yep, and once you have reasonable body spend any extra money on different types of lenses, not just more expensive ones.

Alpha1653

Not that this will help that much but I was looking at the 600d and 650d as well as the 3100 but went for a Sony A57 SLT instead – absolutely rammed full of features and at 12fps it’s great for sport, wildlife etc. Got a great deal on it too – body, 18-55mm lense, UV & polarizing filter, memory card & large Hama bag for £500. Plus, if you’ve got access to any old Monolta AF lenses, it works well with them – I’ve got a selection of 20-30 year old lenses and the photos are amazing. HTH.

glenp
    Free Member

Save money on the body and get at least one lens that goes a heck of a lot wider than f4, or whatever the typical kit zoom offers. The ability to isolate using shallow depth of field gives you loads more creative options than any of the extra features a newer camera will give you. I recently went with a near-mint D300 and a new lovely fast lens, rather than a D7000 and kit zoom for this reason.

(Low light performance on offer with a newer camera is a big plus point – although you of course get that for free with an f1.4 or 1.8 lens anyway because you immediately win several extra stops of flexibility and get a brighter view in the viewfinder to go with it.)

d45yth
    Free Member

Could you afford another £100? I needed a DSLR for outdoor photography and the only two I even considered were the Nikon D7000 and Canon 7D. This is because they both have a metal chassis and are sealed from the elements (both being the cheapest in their range too). I managed to get the Nikon for £619 with lens, I think the same place is selling them without the lens for £560. The 7D was going to cost over a £1000! (Yes, I know this isn’t a lot of money in camera terms).

molgrips
    Free Member

The ability to isolate using shallow depth of field gives you loads more creative options

Loads? One, really 🙂

I would substitute a fast prime for a kit zoom. Kit zooms are damn useful, and mine is still on the camera more than any of the others.

glenp
    Free Member

Well, ok – one, but one which is useful a hell of a lot of the time. Also, meant more control over dof is even more important on a crop-chip/DX/whatever you call it camera, because you’ve sort of sacrificed a stop of dof effect before you even start. And it is way more important than does it shoot 1080 video (for example), imo.

I’ll concede – for out and about photography where your main activity is something other than photography (eg cycling) then I guess an all-rounder zoom is very useful. You get a picture vs not having the time to make the picture.

footflaps

No that’s right, they do, do 0% finance deals, and that’s what I have bought it on however, when you buy with finance you don’t tend to get money off sweeteners or stuff thrown in like you often do if you walk in with cash.

The margin on the bodies is tiny as the shops have to compete with on-line retailers, so the sweeteners are mainly manufacturer cash backs which you can get as well as finance.

footflaps

My main lens on my D80 was a Tamron f2.8 17-50 zoom. Cost all of $200. Absolutely superb piece of kit, still use it on my D7000.

kayak23

D90 arrived this morning. I’ve decided to go with it after your comments on here alongside other reviews.
    It’s beautiful, but weighs a ton, coming from a little D40.
    Going to have a lot of fun with it 🙂

ampthill

I’ll settle your ego a bit. The D90 sensor is better than the Canon 600d or 650d.

OK so the D7000 is better again. But in reality a d90 will do all you need. Some people have reported AF problems with the D7000

Canon really seem to have a problem keeping up with sensor technology. They keep up on Low light noise but unly with a wide range red filter on the sesnor which reduces colour accuracy. The cruciel dynamic range figures lag well behind as well

DXO mark

I still do all my DSLR work with a D70s

ski
    Free Member

Does the D90 have a built in af motor where the d7000 does not? Does this mean you can use a wider/earlier range of lens on the d90 ?

kayak23

The D90 has a focus motor yes. So you can use any Nikon lens as far as I know…

jad
    Free Member

You can take crap pictures with a Canon. You can take good pictures with a canon. You can take crap pictures with a Nikon. You can take good pictures with a Nikon.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The D7000 had a built-in focus motor.

ampthill

D90 and D7000 both have built in focus motor

But I think the D90 won’t meter a non CPU (older manual focus) lens but a D7000 will

I usually avoid brand comparison as really all DSLRs can take greta shots. But I thought it was worth giving kayak a boost

CHB

Have. D80 currently and have had 5 happy years with it. If I was replacing tomorrow it would be the D7000.
    Nikon CLS is brilliant.

nickdavies

I think the D90’s about the best bang for buck out there, it’s relatively cheap, runs old lenses and just feels a lot nicer than Canon’s offerings, in my hands anyway. The weight’s good too. Don’t think i’d really notice the difference between mine and other Nikon’s or even Canon offerings anyway, for most amateurs it’s more than enough camera. Only thing i’d change mine for would be a full frame. Only area Canon are up is video, they’re well ahead of the game in that department but it’s a camera to me. Anyway – if you’re coming from Nikon I reckon far better to stay with a familiar control setup.

Assuming your username’s also a hobby.. D90 in action in Norway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sony alpha from leftfield

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Impulsive Camera advice after the fact – Nikon V Canon’ is closed to new replies.