Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Impressed with the new GoPro Hero5 Session (mini review)
  • acidtest
    Free Member

First spin with the new GoPro yesterday and am well impressed. Considering it was overcast and around 3.30pm in low light the camera coped pretty well. The video below was filmed at 1080p (upscaled to 4k) with protune and image stabilization turned on. The mic is a lot better than the old version so picks up my heavy breathing, sorry about that in advance!

Gave the video a quick tweak in protune to bring out the autumnal colours.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoB9e1qt2Ec[/video]

The voice control works most of the time although did find myself repeating “gopro turn off… gopro turn off” when out of breadth. Also having a quick look around to make sure nobody was around as felt like a nob talking to a camera.

The size is great and it feels like a solid bit of kit, much prefer it to the Hero4 Silver I’ve been using for the last year or so. The image stabilization is obviously no match for a gimbal but I reckon it’s a good middle ground with only a very mild hint of motion sickness to my eyes.

All in all am pleased with my purchase and glad I went for this over the Hero5 Black. Mainly because of the size difference and not needing the LCD display or extra video modes.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

you missed the li’l jump at 1:32 acid!

nice review..

acidtest
    Free Member

Yeah I went around all the jumps, had already come off once and was mincing my way down.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nice quality, but I’m bored off all these slow-mo vids – what’s it like in normal speed?

km79
    Free Member

what’s it like in normal speed?

Shots fired!

acidtest
    Free Member

haha yeah wasn’t exactly a fast run down there should’v sped it up.

Trimix
    Free Member

Nice result, where is that trail ?

acidtest
    Free Member

Thanks. This is in Peaslake, Surrey.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ah, I thought so.

(especially when I actually read the title of your film – Doh ! )

P-Jay
    Free Member

acidtest – Member

haha yeah wasn’t exactly a fast run down there should’v sped it up.

Sorry, I was having a jape, it’s a good vid.

acidtest
    Free Member

yeah I know! But I was going pretty slow after my earlier stack.

P-Jay
    Free Member

acidtest – Member

yeah I know! But I was going pretty slow after my earlier stack.

My GP footage ALWAYS looks like that to me, even if I’m completely pinned it looks shit, my problem is that I’ve seen too many “dusty day in Whistler” type vids, anything ‘real world’ looks like my Mum going to the shops.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Heavy breathing… Are you the person that called me earlier but didnt say anything??

acidtest
    Free Member

My GP footage ALWAYS looks like that to me, even if I’m completely pinned it looks shit, my problem is that I’ve seen too many “dusty day in Whistler” type vids, anything ‘real world’ looks like my Mum going to the shops.

yeah they’re not really great at showing off how amazing we are at riding 🙂 at least we know?!

Heavy breathing… Are you the person that called me earlier but didnt say anything??

Possibly 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

I write one little mini review and look what happens to GoPro, probably shouldn’t write anymore reviews for a while.

nuss
    Free Member

Great stuff!

Just a small tip from video point of view: don’t upscale in general. It reduces the quality significantly as it has to make up the information to make it to 4K. 1080p60 or 1440p60 work really well on the gopros. 4K just takes up unnecessary space 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

The upscale helps with youtubes death compression. If you upload in 1080p youtube allocates less bitrate to the video. When you upload in 4k youtube allocates more and you get a better quality stream.

Upscaling doesn’t really make much difference with non moving video but for biking it’s loads better.

Busy youtube channels get allocated more bitrate than small personal channels like mine.

Trimix
    Free Member

Why is it that GoPro footage doesn’t seem to convey the actual look of the trail at speed we get when riding ?

Is it because its shot on a wide angle ? But then our eyes are pretty wide angle. Or do we actually focus close up on the dangerous bits with our eyes ?

simondbarnes

Why is it that GoPro footage doesn’t seem to convey the actual look of the trail at speed we get when riding ?

Because 99.9% of the people making the videos are quite slow. They just think they’re going fast.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Looks quite fast to me. Then again, maybe I’m slow? I’m probably not though..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Impressed with the new GoPro Hero5 Session (mini review)’ is closed to new replies.