Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Impossible bike consolidation?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

With a possible overseas move on the cards, I am considering the futures of my bikes: I can only take 1-2 max, so I’m planning on taking my Charge Plug as it’s a good “do-a-lot-of-things” bike, but I then have a dilemma regarding my Giant Trance and my Devinci Wilson DH bike.

I will be in need of something I can climb on, but it also needs to be something I take take to, say…… the Whistler Bike Park: What would you recommend? The budget will largely depend on what I can get for the Trance and the Wilson but I’m thinking around £2.5K (secondhand is an option).

PS: Not interested in 29ers.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’d keep the trance.

mikey74
    Free Member

That did cross my mind but I don’t think I’d like to take it into the Bike Park. It doesn’t really have the travel (140mm) or the geometry.

matt_outandabout

It will work, you’ll just be a few seconds slower.
    I was chasing folk on 6″ travel gnarsleds in the Alps this summer. On a steel xc hardtail.

ctk
    Free Member

Sell both & buy something out there?

mikey74
    Free Member

Sell both & buy something out there?

Well, yes: That is an option, but it still leaves the choice of what to go for.

breninbeener

I saw matt_outandabout in the alps and one of the outandaboutlets was going v fast on a stanton sherpa i think!

matt_outandabout

His mother’s Trek Superfly HT actually!

mikey74
    Free Member

Oh, another requirement: No hardtails :mrgreen:

chakaping
    Free Member

You want a Radon Swoop 170 mate. Amazing bike and even has a “park” geometry setting.

I’ve got an 18in frame to sell (I’ve gone full 29er now), but there are bargains on the 2017 models that didn’t sell out yet.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’d sell both and get a gnarsled weapon, or keep the DH bike. You’d be riding round whistler on your trance wishing you had it.

If you’d never had a DH bike , different story, but they are the shizznit for places like whistler

mikey74
    Free Member

That Radon might be just the thing.

I agree, the dh bike is the better tool for Whistler, but I would be using that far less than something I could pedal, so if I have to choose, then it has to be in favour of a better pedalling bike.

The other option is to just keep the Trance, stick some longer forks (160mm) on it and eventually get another dh bike when I’m out there and sorted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sell the wilson and get a park bike out there that will cope with it but not cost you big every time something breaks

sweaman2
    Free Member

Do you ski? I only ask as if you do then you might need new skis as well……

Lots of stuff rideable on a Trance on North Shore etc. Why can you only take 1-2 max? When I moved from London to Calgary I had a 20ft container and it had 5 bikes in it (plus a ton of other stuff).

I’d wait to buy in Canada. You’ll get a better feel for what you are spending the most time doing. It will also make things like warranty easier if things do break.

mikey74
    Free Member

No, I don’t ski, although I may have to start.
    My number of bikes will be limited as I will be staying with friends, at least for the first few months and it wouldn’t be fair, or practical, to turn up with 3-4 bikes. 2 may be pushing it, but I’ll have to check with my friends.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When you moving? Will be a while before you need the park bike really so that also makes most sense to drop or leave in the UK to be shipped later.

PS: Not interested in 29ers.

LOL – do yourself a favour and try some out there 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Do you ski? snowboard I only ask as if you do then you might need new skis snowboards as well……

😀

mikey74
    Free Member

LOL – do yourself a favour and try some out there

I’m not going to turn this into a debate on 29ers, so I’m just going to repeat: Im not interested in 29ers.

You’re all right, I could take my Charge and then buy something else out there, but I’d still be interested in further recommendations for replacing both the DH bike and the trail bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/plan-your-ride/hours-of-operation

Do you plant have your own place by the end of may when the park opens? Lots of snowy pics on instagram at the moment. For the limited riding I did around there my meta am was good but maybe something a little shorter for pedalling up would be good.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t know, is the answer to that. I doubt it as I won’t be out there until March.

matt_outandabout

That purple Cannondale Habit carbon on Rutland more like….

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Canyon Dude? 😈

mikey74
    Free Member

The Habit has less travel than my Trance so would be a pointless change.

zerolight
    Free Member

Get a Bronson? I love my Hightower but you dont want a 29er. Bronson was my second choice as all round trail bike.

matt_outandabout

The Habit has less travel than my Trance so would be a pointless change.

In which case, do not worry about the bike you have – it’s clearly big enough. I doubt there is much that would climb better than a Trance.

Unless your have n+1 itch to scratch…

chiefgrooveguru

Longer fork and an angleset on the Trance? That’s what I’ve done with my Spitfire and makes it close to downhill bike geometry but short travel and good at climbing. Doubt either would survive a season of cased landings if you’re going big at Whistler though – that’s why so many ride DH or park bikes there!

mikey74
    Free Member

No, I wouldn’t use my Trance in the Bike park: it would be in pieces by the end of a weekend.

I’ll probably keep hold of the Trance (possibly fit some longer, stiffer forks on it) and get a dh bike out there if needed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Impossible bike consolidation?’ is closed to new replies.