Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Importing .GPX route files to Garmin Connect
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Hi all. Recently bought a Garmin 1000 and finding Garmin Connect a bit of a struggle.

I’ve downloaded some GPX route files from my club’s website. I’ve managed to add them to my headset unit, but I’d like to be able to view and edit the routes in Garmin Connect and can’t see any way of uploading the GPX files to do so?

I’m sure this is incredibly simple and I’m just being stupid, but would appreciate any pointers! Thanks!

scotroutes

For editing use Basecamp

muggomagic

Can you not still manually import courses into garmin connect? Not used it for a while, but you used to be able to.

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

People are having trouble this month , I believe there was an update it’s gone ,difficult ! You will have to google it ,
    I think they are saying you have to drag and drop the file .

munkster
    Free Member

I find that in order to get a gpx (or other file) onto Garmin Connect I have to do it as a manual upload as if it were a ride, then quickly save it as a Course in Garmin Connect then delete the manual upload before it tries to sync it with Strava! Seems totally clunky and counter-intuitive (although why should I be surprised with a Garmin interface…)

If there IS a better/correcter way I’d love to hear it 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Done it like this:

click on the hamburger menu icon at the left of the page then choose “Activities”.
    Now click on “Import” at the top right of the page and in the dialog box that pops up click on “Choose file”.
    Once you’ve selected it click on “Upload activities from file”

munkster
    Free Member

Doesn’t that do what I’ve just described though? ie. add it as a ride as if you’ve ridden it, rather than a file you want to amend as a Course that could be transferred to the device?

whitestone
    Free Member

The OP couldn’t get the GPX files in to Garmin Connect. I’ve not tried the editing part.

To be able to edit: click on the activity which opens it with various graphs under a Google map. In the top right corner, click the gear wheel icon and select “Save as Course”

Dibbs
    Free Member

I find that in order to get a gpx (or other file) onto Garmin Connect I have to do it as a manual upload as if it were a ride, then quickly save it as a Course in Garmin Connect then delete the manual upload before it tries to sync it with Strava! Seems totally clunky and counter-intuitive (although why should I be surprised with a Garmin interface…)

Does that work with Segments too?

munkster
    Free Member

The OP couldn’t get the GPX files in to Garmin Connect.

Aye I know. My post described (not as explicitly as yours, I admit) the same thing that’s all, as far as I could tell anyway. I was genuinely wondering whether the way you described it did something different to what I’d said and didn’t upload it as if you’d actually ridden it in your ride history?

Dibbs: no idea, Garmin segments are a bit of a mystery to me, they seem to appear on my 810 without me knowingly having put them there! 😯

ashfanman
    Free Member

click on the hamburger menu icon at the left of the page then choose “Activities”.
    Now click on “Import” at the top right of the page and in the dialog box that pops up click on “Choose file”.
    Once you’ve selected it click on “Upload activities from file”

Tried that and I just get a red ‘X’ below the computer logo and an error message of “undefined”.

I have to say, first impressions are that this is an incredibly poorly-designed interface.

munkster
    Free Member

I do find I sometimes have to re-save gpx files before Garmin Connect will accept it. I don’t even bother with the new interface I have it on the old layout which you can select. The old layout is no better, but it’s not as bad as the new one IMHO. YMMV…

scotroutes

Connect is looking to Import a track you’ve recorded (with timestamp data etc) not a Route or Course. If this is a GPX file you’ve downloaded from somewhere then it’s not in the correct format. Furthermore, you can’t Edit the track/route in Connect. Like I said up there, use Basecamp for editing.

munkster
    Free Member

@scotroutes: at the risk of hiijacking this one more than I already have, is there another way to get a gpx into Connect in order to save it as a Course?

I don’t want to edit it in there just get it in as a Course so I can then transfer to the 810 wirelessly (I rarely plug it in to a computer) via the Connect app on my phone at a later date.

muggomagic

Isn’t there a way to add it the the “new files” folder on the garmin via windows explorer, then when you plug the garmin back in it syncs it as a new course?

vincienup
    Free Member

Sorry for hijack, what sort of spec are people using for Base Camp? It really chugs to the point of unusability on my c2d laptop (although that may be memory limitations, it’s just at that age where a memory upgrade counts as good money after bad…)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Importing .GPX route files to Garmin Connect’ is closed to new replies.