• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Imported Kitchen Appliances…can I?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Just in the process of getting a new kitchen sorted…it’s booked in for November.

We’re looking at Neff appliances and whilst doing my research the prices seem much better in Germany. Is there any technical/spec reason why I couldn’t get a German model?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

None, apart from the mains plug.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t see why not, that’s the benefit of being in the EU 😀

Worst case you’ll (or an electrician) have to change a plug.

maccruiskeen

When article 50 is invoked all your appliances will be told to **** off. 🙂

maccruiskeen

Is there any technical/spec reason why I couldn’t get a German model?

Actually, thinking about it if you try to make soup it might turn out to be a bit tepid

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Most Neff, Siemens and Miele appliances these days have separate power leads anyway, you might even be able to buy UK spec 3 pin plug lead. If not just cut it off, your warranty will be voided if you do however….

nwill1
    Free Member

Haha…I was looking at induction hobs and the model I want in the UK the best price I can find is £820. There is a website that imports from Europe selling a very similar one with all the bells and whistles for less that £600. I called and they said on the phone it would be fine but I wanted to seek the wisdom of STW!

z1ppy

I’d be concerned (or looking closely) at the warranty, being as my dishwasher/cooker have both failed a number of times since 2010
    (admittedly they were from the ‘cheaper’ end of the market)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Induction hobs are wired directly in (too high power to go through a 13A plug) so that won’t be an issue. I bought a few things for our kitchen from Germany (cooker hood, sink, taps and table). The only downside was no English instructions in some cases (but normally easy to download)

I’m surprised it’s worth it now with the much worse exchange rate.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thank you..there’s a £200 saving on the hob and its from a UK online store and the 2 year warrenty is with Neff so think I’ll roll with it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Buying from Germany – the only issue is that anything printed on the front – controls – will be in German.

That obviously isn’t a problem if the controls are display based.

That said, my parents installed Neff stuff thinking that they were buying good quality. It hasn’t been. The microwave has failed a couple of times and the oven never gets to the temp it claims. The Bosch oven and hob that I have are both spot on ( and, touch wood, have been trouble-free so far ).

rickmeister

For the German market, buying to use in the uk shouldn’t be a problem. Same volts hertz and stuff…
    From Swiss shops, could be a problem as cookers and ovens have a different input. I found this out having bought appliances from Swiss ikea to use in Germany. It’s a fix that sparkies can sort with the appliance.

I reckon you will be fine

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nwill can you link the site please, I’ve got my eye on a Siemens induction hob.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The Neff Microwaves are made in the UK…. Just saying.

Swiss I think is 3 phase, but most Germanic hobs come with the ability to install/remove links to make them compatible when wiring.

Top of the range Bosch stuff is still German made, all the rest in Spain/Bulgaria etc. Seimens and Meile is ALL German made. Make of that what you will.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I ordered our Smeg induction hob from an italian site.

Took a little longer to arrive but is exactly the same model.

Saved a few hundred quids.

footflaps

Bloody immigrant induction hobs coming over here and heating our soup….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mrs B loves her cooking and price shopping research, she is well aware of price differences. As above yes you can switch over, most appliances I can think of work anywhere. I recall our oven is wired directly into the box – no plug – anyway. Also most ovens / hobs have only symbols on dials etc for the simple reason the factory wants to just make one item which can be sold anywhere. Standard multi-language instructions.

As an aside we’ve just bought some German Grohe kitchen taps in France for close to half UK price and a few fittings for installation in UK. French taps are screw fit with armoured hoses not copper welded.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Buying from Germany – the only issue is that anything printed on the front – controls – will be in German.

I’m not sure about that. I’m often surprised at how many appliances/products in non-English speaking countries have the controls set out in English.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Do share the address of this website!

Would have thought shipping would be pricey.

dantsw13

Yes, me too! I’m about to buy a range cooker/American FF/Dishwasher/microwave for a new kitchen, so if I can save 10% thats nearly a new bike!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Got ours from http://www.arredatutto.com/.

Think it took a couple of weeks to be dispatched.

It was this hob which appears to be available for the same price on appliances direct now!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Imported Kitchen Appliances…can I?’ is closed to new replies.