Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Imperial War Museum.
  • zippykona

Just spent the day there and it was bloody amazing.
    Really need another day to catch all the bits I didn’t see. Highlight for me was seeing how big a V2 was.
    Just about every day out in this country is a rip off,this is free.
    I gladly put £10 in the box on the way out.
    Ps just remembered the best bit of the day when an American lady asked her husband if the replica Hiroshima bomb was the actual one dropped.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

It’s a brilliant day out. Whatever else I may think about the previous government, it was such a good move making so many of those big London museums free.

The National Army Museum is worth a look too.

Cougar

Given that my interest in war is about as high as my interest in football, I’ve been round IWM North (Manchester) and the Churchill War Rooms in London, and I thought both were absolutely brilliant. Fascinating and absorbing. Well worth a trip.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The IWM is something truly special. And I shall also agree on the free museums thing.

“Museum” means, “Let us think” and if one museum in the UK does that, it’s the IWM. Lest we forget……

(Also, this http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portail/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=798&Itemid=1528 is truly moving. Highly recommended. )

Northwind

It is fantastic isn’t it… Last time I was there, the trench war exhibit gave a young kid the horrors, left him cowering on the ground and crying. Job done.

I’ve heard some bad things about a redesign coming for the main hall and approach (removing the naval guns among other things)?

globalti
    Free Member

The Manchester version is pretty good too; some fascinating exhibits and a great sound and vision show about war.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love it, always drop in when in the smoke.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was at the aircraft section in Duxford last week. Lots of old stuff like Spitfires displaying to add to the atmosphere.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

A few of us go down to london and take our dads every year and have a day out and usually end up in there

I could spend all week in there

I’ve been 3 times and still haven’t seen everything

I was stood on the top floor admiring the mustang when an american bloke came to me bragging about it, I had to remind him that it was the British that came up with the idea and if it wasn’t for the rolls Royce merlin engine it would have been useless

hora
    Free Member

I have two very contrasting views on both sites. The London one has too much, you can’t get around ALL of the content in a day (properly). Its awesome.

The Manchester site feels to me like its had alot of money (and focus) spent on the building itself with a few powerpoint presentations. Crude description but true.

They could move some content up north I feel. London Imperial is awesome. Simply awesome. Just feeling the shell hole penetration around the German tank speaks volumes alone. Not a bloody vid.

Blackhound

An excellent day out as said above.

Bazz

I could spend a weeks holiday in London just doing free museums, all without spending a penny on entrance fees, great idea and educational for the kids as well.

nbt

Went round IWM in That London some years back. Awesome and moving.

Shortly after I moved to That Manchester and one rainy weekend went to IWM North. Rubbish. HOra’s point that the building is the focal point is very fair.

Either it’s changed drastically in the last ten year (quite possible!) and if so I will have to try again, or those people who think IWM north is great will have the minds blown when they visit IWM in That London.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

RAF museum is worth a look as well, especially if you like planes (and helicopters).
    http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

scuttler

Another IWM annexe – HMS Belfast (not free). Again excellent.

Also – are free museums just subsidising tourists? Should there be a nominal charge (under 16’s go free) or will removing the free entry just let them take the pee?

Kato

+1 for the RAF meseum at Hendon. It’s amazing

hora
    Free Member

Also – are free museums just subsidising tourists?

How do you differentiate between the two though (tourists or citizens)? Making the museums free for all is inspired (previous government?). Yes it costs money to run etc etc but it adds to the appeal for Tourists/more tourists numbers etc etc but also its not inclusive, its open to all, the rich the poor you name it and if I felt like it I could pop into the IWM Manchester every night on the way home from work.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hmmm, couldn’t disagree more tbh, I’ve visited the iwm a few times with work recently and have always been distinctly underwhelmed.

Some of the exhibits need an overhaul as they’re massively dated in terms of technology – the trench experience particular. The card and string construction was laughed at by the tourists I was in there with.

Also, there’s a lot of “this is part of jkt belonging to capt such & such from 1941…” – so what? what does that tell us?

It’s testing on it’s laurels imo and needs a good shake up.

zippykona

I have nothing else to compare it to but the VC collection and stories would keep anyone occupied for a morning.

maccruiskeen

Tourists subsidise the economy. Museums started charging for VAT efficiency reasons, not necessarily for the income from the ticket price. Museums are generally grant funded by either the state or various bequests sponsors and donors, however they weren’t able to reclaim the vat on the goods and services they buy so a big chunk of their funding was being spent on tax. Having a commercial income – a ticket price – even at a tiny fraction of their total income allowed them to recoup the vat on all their expenditure. The last government legislated to allow museums to recoup that vat without having to make a token charge at the door

EDIT

How do you differentiate between the two though (tourists or citizens)?

Liverpool did it with a ticket you could use for the rest of the year, so a local could pay once and visit many times where as every out of town visitor paid for just one visit.

Northwind

scuttler – Member

Well, to some extent. But that’s a good thing to do- what’s better, take a pound off a tourist on the door of a museum, or have a few extra tourists paying £60 a night for a hotel, £10 for a meal, etc etc… Attractions attract.

it’s an odd thing though, if I go away on holiday I go to museums… Especially in London. But I never go to any at home!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Imperial War Museum.’ is closed to new replies.